What to call it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lizard Leg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been calling my gear set my "kit". In my mind this includes BC, reg set, gauges - everything but fins, mask and tanks/weights. I mentioned that term tonight in my LDS and they looked at me like my fly was unzipped.

In the Navy we call them diving rigs that term is used to describe all the major components you mentioned everything but fins, mask and weights but could include tanks depending on who you ask and seems to be understandable around the LDS ive been in or around

I have seen the word "kit" used on scuba forums before when referring to your gear. Most of the LDS's I have come across are not familiar with internet scuba forums and may not be hip to the jargon. I have used the word "rig" to describe my equipment before!

I think "kit" tends to be more the British term. In the US, I've heard "rig" more often, or just "gear".

Yes, the term " kit " is more of british origin. The Kiwi's & Ausi's use it.

What about in Canada?

I think of "rig" as tank, regulator, BP/w or BC, SPG (and console if used), auxiliary, can light (if used) and anything else that is attached to that "rig." "Kit" is a Briticism and I think of that as referring to all of your gear, you know, your kit err ... less your caboodle.

Gear, rig, equipment. Doesn't matter what you call it. I usually stick with the word 'gear' or 'set-up'.

You could go with the common text reference and call it your "scuba unit", that should irritate folks. Generally I find the term rig used. The term "kit" being gear in general from the UK and the like.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom