What to expect on dive charter boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm making a wild assumption that you're going out with Goat Island Dive, since not very many charter operators go out to the Mokohinaus on a regular basis.

Brian (the skipper) is pretty easygoing and helpful, and if you've never been on a charter boat before, you won't have any problems with him. You will be left to do your own thing in the water since his dives are not usually guided. You will get a briefing about the dive site, and how the pickup is going to be managed. Usually you navigate back to where you started, but on occasion he will drop divers in at one point, and pick them up somewhere else.

I wouldn't worry about getting your gear set up before boarding - your cylinders will be stowed at the back of the boat while you're on the move, with all other wet gear under the seats and dry bags in the overhead shelves. Once you've anchored at the first dive site, a few minutes will be spent moving things around to get the boat ready for diving.

At the end of the dive, listen to instructions from the boat. Since the boat has a couple of outboard motors, you will be told when it is safe to approach and how to use the diver lift (no ladders on this one.)

Lunch is served in the surface interval between dives, and after lunch it's back in the water for a second dive.

I have to be honest; the worst part of the day is the two hour trip out to the Mokohinaus, and the two hour trip back, which is why I didn't dive those islands more when I lived in Auckland. That said, the diving at the Mokohinaus is pretty good, and I'm sure you'll have a great day.

The correct answer, of course, is:

1.) Ask the boat operator what to expect.
2.) Expect those things.
3.) Let the boat know if you expect or require any other/specific things.
4.) If they tell you "no" --- don't expect those things.

:d

But seriously, the vast majority of common complaints people raise about boat experiences can almost always be traced back to lack of specific communication about expectations - on the part of both parties. If you're expecting a guide, let the boat know. They may provide one as a matter of course. They may not. A guide may be free, or an extra charge. Do you want/need/expect a private guide?

For instance, expecting someone to "be responsible for your well-being" (apart from generally being a ridiculous expectation for a certified diver to have) could have a dozen different meanings, all of which could be wrong. As someone who works on a dive boat, you and I might both think that I am watching out for your well-being. And I am. And I will tell you that. But you might mean "plan my dive, hold my hand, bring me up when it's time to surface, and make sure I don't run out of air." I simply mean I'm going to tell you the depth of the site, ask your run time before you jump in, and tell you to have your ass back on the boat by then. If you're not back on the boat by then... I'm gonna start getting pissed. Then I'm gonna get worried. Then I'm gonna jump in and look for you. If I find you and you're in trouble, I'm going to try to save you. If I find you and you're fine... I'm gonna go back to being pissed. Then you're going to be in trouble..

:d

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 02:16 AM ----------

Some things you should expect from them:

1. A site briefing for any site you're going to dive.

2. O2 on the boat.

3. Some drinks and snacks at least.

4. A radio????

5. Politeness (you are paying after all).

6. The boat to be there when you surface (most of the time anyway).

I would expect those things (maybe not the politeness) but I would confirm number 1 if I needed/wanted that. On our boat we give a full boat, procedures, and safety briefing, but the site briefing generally runs along the lines of "... and we're heading to the Resor today."

Numbers 2 and 4 would be mandatory in my mind, and I would not run or board a boat that lacked either. I would - and do - confirm both on any unfamiliar boat; if not listed on website/literature I will ask directly.

#3 would be a nice to have, and would be good to know, but I don't think it's actually a reasonable expectation unless you've been specifically told. 4-5 hrs on a boat is a long time to be hungry/thirsty. We provide water and soft drinks, and usually have a bunch of snacks. But I've been on boats that didn't. I've been on boats that said they did, and it was a jug of water and a bag of stale pretzels.

Again, the main advice I can offer - as someone who works on a boat and has dived on many other boats all over the world - is "Don't expect ANYTHING you haven't specifically been told to expect."

Last edited:
Sorry for the slight hijack, but how does the average dive charter operation handle non-diving partners? My wife isn't certified (yet, but I'm working on it...), would they even allow her on board if room allowed, and if so, what would they charge? Full price?

Thanks

Sorry for the slight hijack, but how does the average dive charter operation handle non-diving partners? My wife isn't certified (yet, but I'm working on it...), would they even allow her on board if room allowed, and if so, what would they charge? Full price?

Thanks

I been on a few charter boats where we had non-divers. You had to ask the captan ahead of time if there was room and the price was usually half of what a diver pays.:eek:fftopic: Ok back to the topic.

Reactions: RJP
Many day boats don't charge if there's room... smart enough to realize that a paying diver is worth their weight in lead. If they will dive more by bringing their non-diving spouse... cool.

Thanks everyone for the great response. I've asked a few locals and they've been very helpful. Will call the charter operator and get more details.

Regards,

Bert

Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom