What to wear in Cairns in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you aren't diving in Sydney you may be further ahead to buy in Cairns. Prices in Sydney are pretty crazy... perhaps you should ask the Queenslanders what kinds of prices to expect there. You may save yourself a bit by a bit of price checking.

While you are in Sydney I'd suggest you get in touch with Snorkel Safari or Frogdive Guildford and see about arranging a dive. Snorkle Safari is close to Bare Island one of the top local shore dive sites. I know the Red Indian fish are being sighted there lately. Unfortunately I am recovering from ankle/foot surgery and not able to manage diving there at the moment. It is a great site with lots to see so if youcheck in with Mark he may be able to provide you with rental gear and a hired guide or introduce you to someone looking for a buddy.

Sydney diving is one of Australia's unsung hightlights of diving.
531C-829C.jpg531C-829Cm.jpg531C-843C (Medium).jpgVelvet-555 (Small).jpg669C-855 (Medium).jpg

click on image to view .. I just "grabbed" a few shots taken at Bare Island....
my favourite Pygmy Pipehorse a Velvetfish and a Red Indian fish... there are heaps more different critters

They cost upwards of about AU$60 in north Queensland. Any of the big sports stores sell them up here (Amart, Rebel, Anaconda, etc.), as well as the myriad of dive stores in town. The dive shops will likely have rental stock as well, so buying outright probably isn't necessary.

If you're going out on a liveaboard, they will likely have some on the boat which you can rent. Contact the company and ask.

I'm doing a 7 day live aboard departing from Cairns in early January. The company recommends a full 3-5 mm suit for jellyfish protection. Can I get by with using a 2.5 mm shorty? I was thinking about adding a rash guard for some protection against the nasty critters. I'm traveling from the US and I want to keep my bag as small as possible, and I also like the ease of getting in and out of a shorty.
Thanks for any replies.

I have dived this area in December and wore a full 5mm suit (but I feel the cold, especially when doing repetitive dives) . A shorty is a no go IMO. Not worth the risk of being stung.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom