What type of Dive Boat do you prefer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Banca's are more stable when at rest and provides a more comfortable and quicker setup platform for technical divers with their doubles and stages.

The smuggler version of the banca, the "Kumpit", (mostly found down south in Jolo or Basilan), with volvo-penta inboards that can punch out 20+ knots or more. The last one I saw was so well balanced that the outriggers barely touched the sea surface.

In choppy seas, the kumpit wins over the speed boat in terms of comfort when travelling in excess of 18+ knots. The kumpit can cut through moderate swells, whilst a speed boat will force you to power back on the throttle to keep the boat from bouncing up and down.

I once took a 24 ft speed boat (75 hp) from Dumaguete to Mactan. The trip took five (5) hours at 26 knots and I had to stand all the way. The swells only averaged less than a foot, but my back couldn't withstand the thumping and I couldn't sit down too long.

while we were on Malapascua last weekend, I commissioned this kid to make this kickass dive bangka... :mooner:

2488729073_5951f8c11f_o.jpg

edit: the box on the back is for mounting a 400hp 4stroke outboard...

perfect for those budding solo divers... :eyebrow:

I must admit, since my stay in Sabang, I'm very partial to bangkas!!! The one we used at Dojo was very nice! Stable, with lots of room for divers and their gear. having only been on "speedboat, yatchs, zodiacs before, I was honnestly impressed!!! Good design...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom