What wasn't covered well enough...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Twiddles

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Thought I would post a question to all here, to see what everyone else thinks are skill sets that werent covered well enough through AOW training (regardless of your certifying agency). Just to see what things everyone else thinks should have been more of concern up front as they have continued to dive. I figure 5 is enough to start:

Me
1) Bouyancy
2) OOA situations
3) Limited Visibility Diving (Night or otherwise)
4) Propulsion methods (Different Kicks)
5) Ascent Rate

My Wife
1) Bouyancy
2) OOA situations
3) Ascent Rates
4) Computer Reading and Understanding
5) Night Diving (Limited Visibility)

1) On this subject I have found that it is definately a practiced skill, what I am referring to is more time spent on achieving neutral, issues that affect neutral, and more time with instructor training this skill (even 2-3 hours as a group could dramatically alter ability in this area IMO).
2) Based on threads here and the caveats for situational awareness, more time discussing options, CYA, etc should be covered.
3) I have posted on this before, divers do not take viz into account enough when diving, more emphasis should be given to how to respond in this situation.
4) Moving underwater in a manner that prevents damage to your buddies skull, mask, reg etc. As well as movement that prevents viz damage in your area.
5) I watch my computer when I rise, I have lost count after 34 dives of the number of divers that have blown by me especially after the safety stop. Slower than bubbles doesnt work.

Number 4 for my wife revolves around the difficulty we have seen both on boat and on land of divers (including ourselves) are having deciphering computer information. The instruction manuals are clearer once you understand what basic information all computers are generating but they are very hard to decipher at first.

Number 5 for my wife is her discomfort with night diving in general, when pressed, it was her anxiety caused by limited visibility.

Just my 0.02....

I just recently completed my AOW and in ways I was disappointed and in other ways it was just what I expected. Everything that you have listed are skills that you must develop. I don't think taking any class is going to by the end of the class make you proficient in anything. The only way to achieve this is to dive and dive often and work on all these skills each and every time. I entered the AOW class with idea that this is nothing more than 5 more dives with an experienced trainer - nothing more nothing less. Every time I dive I try and learn something or work on something. I have very good buddies who have mentored me along and still do.

To be honest, I don't think I got a lot of "training" in AOW, but I did get more experience by achieving 5 more dives. The bouyancy portion amounted to getting in the water and diving down to a bus attemping to dive through without touching anything. I would have thought we would have really gotten into a weight checks and work on just "hovering". The Wreck portion amounted to diving down to a plane that I've dove before and really looking at it from the perspective of safety. The Night Dive was my first, really nothing to learn, but did gain the experience. The Deep Dive was a little nerving. I had dove deep in the ocean, but never in 42 degree's in a quarry. Again, I gained experience. The Navigation portion, I do think I learned something. I never really messed with a compass before and here I had to.

In general, I take the attitude that nobody is going to be able to wave a magic wand and make me a better diver. I dive with other experienced divers and try and learn something new from them each and every time. I don't rely on classes although I want to take the rescue class next. But, again, it will be more dives to gain experience and then I personally have to take it from there to better myself.

I guess to get back your question, I would think the buoyancy portion of the class could have been a little more in depth, but hey, don't they have another class that goes into greater detail on this. Basically, the AOW is nothing more than a introduction into 5 specialties, nothing more, nothing less.

S. Nagel

Here's my list:

Gas management
Dive Planning
Risk Assessment
Trim
Propulsion techniques

None are that complicated and all have a great bearing on how you enjoy diving.

Most of what Nagel said.

What should've been covered better:

Descent technique
Ascent technique
Gas management
Ear clearing methods
SAC calculations

Gas management
Dive planning
Buddy skills (positioning, signalling, managing ascents and descents)
Trim
Non-silting propulsion

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anything helps with low-viz diving except doing it. High intensity lights make it a bit easier, but learning to make sense of your environment when there's very little visual information is something that has taken me, at least, considerable time.

The things I listed, however, are things which can be TAUGHT. And should be.

TSandM:
Gas management
Dive planning
Buddy skills (positioning, signalling, managing ascents and descents)
Trim
Non-silting propulsion

Unfortunately, I'm not sure anything helps with low-viz diving except doing it. High intensity lights make it a bit easier, but learning to make sense of your environment when there's very little visual information is something that has taken me, at least, considerable time.

The things I listed, however, are things which can be TAUGHT. And should be.

So true.... A lot of times people can tell what a good diver is but the "How to get there" is filled with contention.... A mentor is a good way to start...

dive planning and site assessment (should I be making this dive?)

There is so much stuff in OW already. There isn't room for much more. It would be nice if there was some kind of follow-up class, that you could take once you settled in, to address some of the gaps.

I'd add the team concept to what's already been listed. a buddy should be more than emergency gas and another pair of eyes.

A

pengwe:
dive planning and site assessment (should I be making this dive?)

There is so much stuff in OW already. There isn't room for much more. It would be nice if there was some kind of follow-up class, that you could take once you settled in, to address some of the gaps.

I disagree. OW has been reduced and reduced. More should go in and it should take longer. Most of what is mentioned doesn't require more dives or more time underwater although more time diving is always better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom