What wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
The DSS single-tank rig looks quite nice. However the website is a bit unclear as to how the wing attaches to the backplate. Is it just sandwiched between the tank and the plate?

Also on the DSS rig, it says no STA is required. Does the wing have Pioneer-like rods, or what?

Will an Oxycheq or H plate pad fit on the DSS plate?

thanks again!

The DSS wing basically sandwiches between the plate and wing. It does have a couple of rubber "tabs" that will hold the wing in place when a cylinder is not installed. The wing has a built-in rubber (Tobin calls it "elastomer") piece built into it that stabilizes the cylinder so that an STA is not necessary. The tank straps do all the work ... and the little built-in rubber piece holds the cylinder firmly in place.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

teknitroxdiver:
Is there any way to use bolts and an STA on it?

thanks

Yes ... replacing the bolts is easy. But to use an STA you'd have to cut the webbing strap that holds the elastomer tank stabilizer on the wing. Personally, I wouldn't see the advantage.

I would seriously recommend talking directly to Tobin. I have the wing, and use it regularly ... but he's in a much better position to answer your questions.

One thing I'll tell you ... no BS ... if after talking to you he thinks you'll be happier with a different wing, he'll say so. Gotta respect that ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

FredT makes the best plates, I have a heavy SS and an Alum for tropical dives. As for a wing I have an Oxycheq and it works great!

NWGratefulDiver:
First off ... backplate. If you're thinking about a long, I second the recommendation of someone else who said contact either Tobin (Deep Sea Supply) or Fred (FredT) directly to discuss sizing. Fred has a well-written sizing paper that will tell you how to measure your torso to assure the correct size backplate. I'm not sure Tobin has anything written down, but he can certainly assist you in selecting an appropriate size plate.

Not coincidentally, these two make the highest-quality plates I've seen anywhere. They are on almost opposite ends of the spectrum, however, when it comes to bend angle and channel depth. Fred's plate has the most bend and deepest channel of any plate I've tried. Tobin's has the least bend and shallowest channel. Which you choose will depend on the tradeoff you want to make between a plate that will make your cylinder hug your body (DSS) vs. one that will reduce the risk of banging your head into your first stage (FredT). Your choice.

You mentioned using different cylinders and not liking weight on a belt ... this might be a factor in favor of a DSS plate. Tobin's plate weights screw right into (and effectively become part of) the backplate. It's a sweet system, and you can order either 5# or 8# weight sets. I don't know of another plate manufacturer that offers anything like it.

Wings ... the DSS 30# wing is sturdy and will serve you will for wreck diving. So will the Oxycheq 30# Signature series wing. The former is a horseshoe-shaped wing with a center-mounted inflator/dump (used exactly as you use a doubles wing), and the latter is a donut-shaped wing with the more standard singles configuration of putting the inflator/dump on the left side of the wing. I've used both, and am very happy with how they both perform.

Someone mentioend Dive Rite wings ... well made products, but I'm not nuts about how they perform compared to the two I already mentioned. I've owned two Dive Rite wings (Venture and Rec Wing) and replaced them both after trying the Oxycheq wings.

Finally, customer service ... Tobin's record of being available/returning phone calls, and responding to product queries/issues is way better than Patrick's ... since Oxycheq moved to Florida, Patrick just doesn't seem to be as accessible as he used to be. In the past few weeks I've called on both a wing issue and an O2 analyzer issue, and haven't been able to get ahold of him ... and he hasn't returned my messages. I love Oxycheq products ... and own a lot of his gear ... but in all honesty, the customer service leaves something to be desired.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm surprised that you received poor service. I contacted him with an inquirery and got an e-mail within 24 hours explaining everything I asked and more.

I thought the service was fantastic. I hope it hasn't changed though.

About the drain holes on the bottom of the wing, Yes there are two large drain holes and the work quite well. It's a very well built wing. I was going to go with an OMS before I was enlightened and am glad I chose the oxycheq.

trevinkorea:
I'm surprised that you received poor service. I contacted him with an inquirery and got an e-mail within 24 hours explaining everything I asked and more.

I thought the service was fantastic. I hope it hasn't changed though.

I'm surprised as well ... normally when I call Patrick he's not just available, but willing to chat for a while.

Someone sent me a PM that he was out of the country on business. That may explain the recent lack of response (but it's been a month and a half on the wing issue).

As I said, I love his products and would recommend them to anyone. This is the first time I've attempted to contact him since he moved to Florida ... and I also hope that hasn't changed things too much.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom