What wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NWGratefulDiver:
I'm surprised as well ... normally when I call Patrick he's not just available, but willing to chat for a while.

I think he had some trouble with his phones and Internet provider when he moved in the spring.

IMO, great product and worth a little effort spent to get them.

Okay...new question.

With the Complete Rig comes a pair of cam straps with plastic cam buckles. From FredT I can get the ScubaPro style buckles (am I thinking of the correct thing: a D-ish ring on one half of the strap, and a funky looking metal buckle on the other half?).

Which is better? Also are there any other online sources of these tank straps? I like to compare prices....

I usually don't have a problem with my tank slipping. In fact the only time in recent history (after I learned the 'right' way to tighten a cam strap) that my tank came loose was when I had to get back on the boat after going to about 10': my dad forgot his weight pockets
icon_rolleyes.gif
and I forgot my primary light.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
I got up the ladder, bent over to grab the weights, and when I stood back up, my tank fell out. *grumblegrumble*. Phhh.

thanks again

if you don't mind plastic cam buckles - triple-l ( now http://www.scubal.com ) sells 2 cam bands/buckles for about $12 - they are extra long, so you have to cut them off and they won't have velcro (unless you sew it on) but they are downright cheap - I keep a set handy for "just in case" times - if someones break etc..

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Personally I am really happy with my DiveRite SS buckles - solid and puts another pound or so on my rig and off of my belt...But they are a lot more expensive.

If you're only interested in diving single cylinders, the jet harness set up is really well made and is alot less expensive than anything else I found out there. Plate-$70 wing-$120 (very similar to dive-rite travel wing) camstraps-$10, and at the time I bought he wasn't making harnesses so I bought the dive-rite deluxe harness for $55 (I think) from dive rite express. Total cost $255.

I agree that the DSS set up looks terrific on the site, it was just a little out of my range price-wise.

teknitroxdiver:
That looks terribly uncomfortable.

Why, because of the flat plate? I think you'd be surprised; it contacts your body in the same spots as the angled plates. The only reason for the channel and angles is to acommodate doubles. The flat plate doesn't go anywhere near your spine. It really holds the cylinder in tight and close; which is great, except I found I have to make sure it's as low as possible to avoid banging my head on the reg when I look up.

I agree you give up the versatility of doubles, but since you typically need a new wing for doubles anyway, the plate and harness material is not such a big cost increase, and it's more convenient. For me this was a cheap way to get some experience with a BP/wing set up with the rec diving I do now. Someday down the road if I go for doubles/tech diving, I'm sure getting a new plate would be the least of my equipment worries!

teknitroxdiver:
Okay...new question.

With the Complete Rig comes a pair of cam straps with plastic cam buckles. From FredT I can get the ScubaPro style buckles (am I thinking of the correct thing: a D-ish ring on one half of the strap, and a funky looking metal buckle on the other half?).

Which is better? Also are there any other online sources of these tank straps? I like to compare prices....

I usually don't have a problem with my tank slipping. In fact the only time in recent history (after I learned the 'right' way to tighten a cam strap) that my tank came loose was when I had to get back on the boat after going to about 10': my dad forgot his weight pockets
icon_rolleyes.gif
and I forgot my primary light.
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_rolleyes.gif
I got up the ladder, bent over to grab the weights, and when I stood back up, my tank fell out. *grumblegrumble*. Phhh.

thanks again

I use the cam straps (with plastic buckles) that came with the DSS rig, and don't have a problem with tank slippage. That said, I own several complete backplate setups, and prefer the Dive Rite cam straps with stainless steel buckles. I've used the ScubaPro buckles you mentioned, and they work great. The only down side to them is that if you use different diameter cylinders, they're a bit of a pain to adjust.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Interesting thread with some good points and advice. I started out in a Seaquest Pro QDand moved to a Backplate and Wing. It was a great decision and I really like the Backplate. I don't have a ton of cash to spend on the latest and greatest and actually prefer to keep things simple. Its like my old VCR. It had 100 buttons on it I never used. A bunch of meaningless features.
When you read all of the adds and everybody claims to have the lowest profile or the most streamlined wing take most of it with a grain of salt. Your talking about bolting an air bag to a hunk of metal. Therfore, my recommendation is buy the basic Rig and with the money you save go on another dive trip. Owning the most expensive gear dosen't make anyone a better diver, it just makes the dude selling it richer.
Here's my formula for savings: (or cheapness as my wife says)
Hammerhead ss backplate $79.
Hammerhead Hog Rig $45.
Dive Rite Wing $230.
Leisur Pro cam Bands 30.
Total $384. Savings for your next trip: Priceless

Well, Tobin made another sale.

This morning I called him bright and early at 11 CST, which where he was in Cali was what, 8? He sounded a bit tired..... (I was thinking that he was in Florida, but that's Oxycheq, isn't it...)

Anyway, I ordered the Single Tank setup with the hog harness, a spool, and an SK7 mount. Now to wait for it all to come.....sigh.

Bob, are you talking about SP hinge buckle? I think SP buckle has a big advantage when we use a different diameter tank. The cheapest version is DR buckle, $15.

NWGratefulDiver:
I've used the ScubaPro buckles you mentioned, and they work great. The only down side to them is that if you use different diameter cylinders, they're a bit of a pain to adjust.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom