What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Let me know what you decide. My partner just ordered the FP. He dives 120's as well. He currently has a DR wing but likes the look of the Oxycheq, long and narrow. Thinks it may fit will with the longer tank.

Well "thinks" seems a bit funny if he can test fit the 120 to your wing....That said, I sent Eric a note to see how he likes his new Hog - waiting for him to wake up from California dreamin'.....

Last edited:
Well "thinks" seems a bit funny if he can test fit the 120 to your wing....That said, I send Eric a note to see how he likes his new Hog - waiting for him to wake up from California dreamin'.....

True. But that is assuming I'll let him touch MY wing :D Seriously, he is waiting for the plate to arrive (a bit larger than mine) then do I dry fit on both just to check dimensions. But of course the real test will be wet which will not happen till late May.

I love the Hog wing, it's wider than the Oxycheq but a 32 in Hog is like a #40 in the Oxy. The Oxy is almost too narrow for it's own good. With only a strip in the center a little wider than a piece of weight belt webbing, how is a tank suppose to fit and allow enough room on each side for the wing to inflate? think about it. For this reason I say, for those people who want an Oxycheq for the appeal of the outer narrowness do yourself a favor and get the 40# if you think you only need 30#. The wedge will take away 10# I think.
The Hog is wider yes, but it also gives you ALL the wing for inflation.
This isn't just for the Freedom Plate, this is for all plates. The Freedom Plate actually isn't as bad because with the cut away sides and stand off bracket it does allow the Oxy to inflate more than other setups.

The Hog wing fits the Freedom Plate better than any other wing so far IMO. It's like it was made for it.
But then I haven't tested too many different wings either.

I'm also hearing reports now about Hollis wings. It appears that the Hollis lower slots are narrow enough (close together)that with the stand-off bracket of the FP, it's spreading the cam straps too far apart and putting sideways pressure on the lower slots of the wing.
The fix for this is to run the cam strap right under the rail bar and forget about trying to run it through the plate on the bottom set of plate slots. This places the straps right where they need to be.

Any other tests and findings with wing compatibility from FP users is welcomed and appreciated.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 12:11 PM ----------

BTW, I also use a long 7.25 dia. steel 120. This is the tank I base all my info on.

...//... BTW, I also use a long 7.25 dia. steel 120. This is the tank I base all my info on.

Eric, Do you know of anyone who has tried a Larry Green (OMS) wing with your FP?

I PM'ed you a few years ago when I was considering same, love 120's. I've since gone a different way, but just seems like that wing would be a natural.

I love the Hog wing, it's wider than the Oxycheq but a 32 in Hog is like a #40 in the Oxy. The Oxy is almost too narrow for it's own good. With only a strip in the center a little wider than a piece of weight belt webbing, how is a tank suppose to fit and allow enough room on each side for the wing to inflate? think about it. For this reason I say, for those people who want an Oxycheq for the appeal of the outer narrowness do yourself a favor and get the 40# if you think you only need 30#. The wedge will take away 10# I think.
The Hog is wider yes, but it also gives you ALL the wing for inflation.
This isn't just for the Freedom Plate, this is for all plates. The Freedom Plate actually isn't as bad because with the cut away sides and stand off bracket it does allow the Oxy to inflate more than other setups.

The Hog wing fits the Freedom Plate better than any other wing so far IMO. It's like it was made for it.
But then I haven't tested too many different wings either.

I'm also hearing reports now about Hollis wings. It appears that the Hollis lower slots are narrow enough (close together)that with the stand-off bracket of the FP, it's spreading the cam straps too far apart and putting sideways pressure on the lower slots of the wing.
The fix for this is to run the cam strap right under the rail bar and forget about trying to run it through the plate on the bottom set of plate slots. This places the straps right where they need to be.

Any other tests and findings with wing compatibility from FP users is welcomed and appreciated.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 12:11 PM ----------

BTW, I also use a long 7.25 dia. steel 120. This is the tank I base all my info on.

Well Good Morning sleepy head! Hope its as sunny and nice in CA as it is here in the Mid-Altantic - about damn time in all.

So that about settles it then - thanks Eric! I got my supplier out hunting a Hog32, which'll be cheaper than the Oxy by a large margin anyway. But I have to wait 'cause the black with red stripe is outta stock. I think that'll go nice with the red harness. Hopefully get it in the pool water late this month.

Hey, I just had a great idea! How 'bout them apples, eh? :cool2:

Attachments

• IMG_6337.jpg
    IMG_6337.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 144
Nice wing!

You might have something there.

I don't know what's going on with my inbox.
People keep saying they're trying to PM me but nothing new in my inbox, and It's nowhere near full either?
I'll have to get one of the mods to look into it.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 02:39 PM ----------

Eric, Do you know of anyone who has tried a Larry Green (OMS) wing with your FP?

I PM'ed you a few years ago when I was considering same, love 120's. I've since gone a different way, but just seems like that wing would be a natural.
I haven't heard anything about it. In fact that wing kind of fell off the radar since there are so many other more talked about wings on the market.
But if the slots are anything like a Hog configuration I'll bet it will work.
I have looked at that wing in the past BTW.

The other wing that I'm curious about is the Manta single tank wing that I've seen at LP.

I have not yet got one of the Manta wings in. I have an order of other stuff coming in from them tomorrow. Will have to see how sales go and might just have to bring one in to try with mine. Although the HOG 32 does fit like it was made for it.

I recently got the Hollis S38 (older one), and it seems to fit perfectly (or much better than the Oxy) on my FP (first series). Haven't had a chance to dive it yet, but I did not notice any untoward pressure. I'll double check that today, though, and post back.

Jim La hooked me up with the Hog wing. I tried to get him to have them make me one with invasion stripes ala my pic - but ack, no joy. Dang it!

Thanks Jim. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom