What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wasn't the original orange Scubapro Stab Jacket pretty much the first official "poodle jacket"?
Or was there something similar before that? (as far as that style)

No idea, I imagine someone else knows. I don't remember the first one I saw but didn't think highly of it. I can't remember if I had a wing by then or was still using the Fenzy with a power inflator. I didn't see a need for any BC unless the dive was especially demanding, but the suits were all Rubatex G-231n.

I'm using the MachV 30# Oxy as well. I'm curious if anyone knows any functional buoyancy character differences between the Oxy and the Hog.

Are you asking about how they feel underwater, or what is the advertised lift capacity vs the actual lift capacity of each wing and how that differs?

The Mach V is quite a bit narrower than the Hog wing. I don't ever put a lot of air in my wings, but the small amount I do put in I noticed perhaps just a tad more air migrating around in the Hog wing from side to side just based on the width.
The thing about the Mach V is that it is so narrow that yes it keeps the air closer to the center axis of your body because the tubes on each side are closer in. However there is also an inherent design problem with wings that narrow, and that is that when you sandwich an extremely narrow wing between the tank and plate it restricts the inflation capabilities of the wing because of the wedge that the tank and plate create. With the Freedom Plate it's not as bad because there is a section where the plate is narrow so the wing can round out like it's supposed to. The lower section the plate is also curved and has the rail stand that sets the tank off the body so that gives the wing more room too. It's still better than some of the regular doubles plates that don't allow a lot of room anywhere.
I have questioned many times the actual true lift capacity of the Mach V when it is in use set up as a rig. I don't believe that a 30 is actually a full 30 lbs of lift when it's being used, maybe more like 20 something? Really hard to tell.
So my 40# wing might be 32 or 35 when its set up on a plate with a tank, I don't really know.
I suppose there would be a way to test it set up with different plates and different diameter tanks. All the readings would be different.

With the Hog wing being wider the inflation cell has plenty of room to fully inflate so the advertised lift capacity I think is a lot truer to the claims.

considering the new Hollis S25 LX

i just rigged this wing with a contour plate yesterday; it _barely_ fits in the plate's cam band slots, with no slop at all. if you use the rails for the lower band, you get maybe half an inch of vertical play between the wing and plate. there is a stabilizer with the LX wing, but it is easily removed.

my concern was with the lower dump clearance to lower plate, but it fit like it was made for it.

Attachments

• img_5362.jpg
    img_5362.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 116
  • img_5363.jpg
    img_5363.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 133
  • img_5365.jpg
    img_5365.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 121
Alex,

Thanx for the info on the wing, how far apart are the cam slots on your wing?

We need to start a thread about all the different wings with the schematics and measurements listed.
It would take away a lot of the guess work.

Are you asking about how they feel underwater, or what is the advertised lift capacity vs the actual lift capacity of each wing and how that differs?

The Mach V is quite a bit narrower than the Hog wing. I don't ever put a lot of air in my wings, but the small amount I do put in I noticed perhaps just a tad more air migrating around in the Hog wing from side to side just based on the width.
The thing about the Mach V is that it is so narrow that yes it keeps the air closer to the center axis of your body because the tubes on each side are closer in. However there is also an inherent design problem with wings that narrow, and that is that when you sandwich an extremely narrow wing between the tank and plate it restricts the inflation capabilities of the wing because of the wedge that the tank and plate create. With the Freedom Plate it's not as bad because there is a section where the plate is narrow so the wing can round out like it's supposed to. The lower section the plate is also curved and has the rail stand that sets the tank off the body so that gives the wing more room too. It's still better than some of the regular doubles plates that don't allow a lot of room anywhere.
I have questioned many times the actual true lift capacity of the Mach V when it is in use set up as a rig. I don't believe that a 30 is actually a full 30 lbs of lift when it's being used, maybe more like 20 something? Really hard to tell.
So my 40# wing might be 32 or 35 when its set up on a plate with a tank, I don't really know.
I suppose there would be a way to test it set up with different plates and different diameter tanks. All the readings would be different.

With the Hog wing being wider the inflation cell has plenty of room to fully inflate so the advertised lift capacity I think is a lot truer to the claims.

Thanks, this answers my questions pretty well. I'm using the Mach V with the freedom plate, and I feel like I'm not getting all of that buoyancy. At times I also feel like it's hard to vent (scared me a couple of times where I put myself at the top edge of buoyancy during an ascent, and couldn't dump). I also wonder what the front to back buoyancy is like, as I am finding myself head down.

Thanks, this answers my questions pretty well. I'm using the Mach V with the freedom plate, and I feel like I'm not getting all of that buoyancy. At times I also feel like it's hard to vent (scared me a couple of times where I put myself at the top edge of buoyancy during an ascent, and couldn't dump). I also wonder what the front to back buoyancy is like, as I am finding myself head down.
I sometimes find the rear pull dump doesn't always work that well. I pull it and nothing happens. I know I need to get rid of air so I have to go verticle for a second and use the inflator dump and indeed there is left over air.
If you are experiencing a head heavy situation you may consider dropping the tank a little lower, or if you are using an aluminum tank you could switch to a steel. The bottom end of AL tanks will float while the reg and valve end stay negative.

We need to start a thread about all the different wings with the schematics and measurements listed.
It would take away a lot of the guess work.

I started one a few years ago for wing/plate compatibility and it never got any traction. Maybe we can try again. One thing I like about the oxycheq mach V wing is the really long openings for cam bands, accommodating basically any plate.

One thing I like about the oxycheq mach V wing is the really long openings for cam bands, accommodating basically any plate.

which also makes quick dis-assembly so as not to risk pinch flats in storage/transporting....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom