What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I started one a few years ago for wing/plate compatibility and it never got any traction. Maybe we can try again. One thing I like about the oxycheq mach V wing is the really long openings for cam bands, accommodating basically any plate.
Or even if people posted up schematics and measurements. That way a person could measure their plate and the slots in combo with a certain wing and at least get a pretty good factual idea.
It seems like if people ask what wings work with what plates there are always 10 different answers and conficting information and a lot of hearsay.
What Alex posted about the Hollis is perfect. There were actual measurements to go by.

Thanks, this answers my questions pretty well. I'm using the Mach V with the freedom plate, and I feel like I'm not getting all of that buoyancy. At times I also feel like it's hard to vent (scared me a couple of times where I put myself at the top edge of buoyancy during an ascent, and couldn't dump). I also wonder what the front to back buoyancy is like, as I am finding myself head down.

I would unzip the wing and check if the bladder is kinked. Oxycheq uses a bladder that is large for the wing and if it gets kinked it could make the wing difficult to vent.

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 02:29 PM ----------

which also makes quick dis-assembly so as not to risk pinch flats in storage/transporting....

How does it make for quick dis-assembly? You would still need to unbolt the wing from the plate (if using bolts) and unthread the cam straps from the plate and the wing to remove the wing from the plate. If you want quick assembly than use an STA or purchase a DSS wing. DSS has the best system for quick dis-assembly.

How does it make for quick dis-assembly? You would still need to unbolt the wing from the plate (if using bolts) and unthread the cam straps from the plate and the wing to remove the wing from the plate. If you want quick assembly than use an STA or purchase a DSS wing. DSS has the best system for quick dis-assembly.
With the Mach V, the slots are long enough that the the cam buckles can easily pass through the slots, so there is no need to pull the whole cam strap out of the plate. Still, not as easy as the DSS system but easier than some wings with tiny narrow slots that require complete unthreading of the cam straps out of the plate.
It takes me a grand total of about 31.75 seconds to take a Mach V wing off the plate.

I sometimes find the rear pull dump doesn't always work that well. I pull it and nothing happens. I know I need to get rid of air so I have to go verticle for a second and use the inflator dump and indeed there is left over air.
If you are experiencing a head heavy situation you may consider dropping the tank a little lower, or if you are using an aluminum tank you could switch to a steel. The bottom end of AL tanks will float while the reg and valve end stay negative.

I'm swimming a steel 100, and it's as low as it can get without moving to just one strap. I've experimented with putting it higher (read that here on SB somewhere), but that didn't help either. This happens regardless of exposure protection (7mm wet vs Whites Fusion dry).

---------- Post added February 10th, 2014 at 09:43 PM ----------

I would unzip the wing and check if the bladder is kinked. Oxycheq uses a bladder that is large for the wing and if it gets kinked it could make the wing difficult to vent.

Solid advice, thanks!

I tried to mate the FP to a Apeks WTD-D30 single tank wing last night at the LDS as it has the large inflator elbow connection and I have all Aqualung gear.

Their cam slots are just slightly longer than the 2" webbing and are pretty far apart allowing no room for customizing band placement. Also the band slots are pretty narrow so with the new Highland clip style bands (which are super BTW), its frigging hard to get the clip through. Its a pretty narrow donut as well. I wanted to make it work, and probably could, but I dunno, it just didn't seem a happy coupling...

So I'm still looking for a wing...can you get the HOG 32# with a pull dump inflator?

I have AA 100s and 120s - does the length of the 120s impact the usefulness of this HOG wing? 100s&120s have very similar buoyancy characteristics so in theory I can use one wing.

I tried to mate the FP to a Apeks WTD-D30 single tank wing last night at the LDS as it has the large inflator elbow connection and I have all Aqualung gear.

Their cam slots are just slightly longer than the 2" webbing and are pretty far apart allowing no room for customizing band placement. Also the band slots are pretty narrow so with the new Highland clip style bands (which are super BTW), its frigging hard to get the clip through. Its a pretty narrow donut as well. I wanted to make it work, and probably could, but I dunno, it just didn't seem a happy coupling...

So I'm still looking for a wing...can you get the HOG 32# with a pull dump inflator?

I have AA 100s and 120s - does the length of the 120s impact the usefulness of this HOG wing? 100s&120s have very similar buoyancy characteristics so in theory I can use one wing.

Im not sure if you can buy one with a pull dump from "factory" but you can almost definitely convert. Elbow and inflator look to be of the generic kind. That being the case you can buy the parts from DGX, it's a pretty simple conversion. For me not worth the expense as I predominantly use the lower dump but to each their own. Scroll down the page:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml

Im not sure if you can buy one with a pull dump from "factory" but you can almost definitely convert. Elbow and inflator look to be of the generic kind. That being the case you can buy the parts from DGX, it's a pretty simple conversion. For me not worth the expense as I predominantly use the lower dump but to each their own. Scroll down the page:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml

Yeah, I caught up to that page earlier, but thanks. Its nice to have the feature, but then again, its a disaster if the cable gets any kind of squirrelly...decisions decisions.

Yeah, I caught up to that page earlier, but thanks. Its nice to have the feature, but then again, its a disaster if the cable gets any kind of squirrelly...decisions decisions.

My new Oxycheq wing does not have that dump and I admit that I don't miss it at all. But then again I very rarely used it when I had one.

Its a fight between the Oxy and the Hog for me, but I think the Hog will win since I have 120s to deal with and I think Eric said it squeezed out a little more than the oxy and would be closer to its designed lift capacity. Damn 120s are long boys...

Its a fight between the Oxy and the Hog for me, but I think the Hog will win since I have 120s to deal with and I think Eric said it squeezed out a little more than the oxy and would be closer to its designed lift capacity. Damn 120s are long boys...

Let me know what you decide. My partner just ordered the FP. He dives 120's as well. He currently has a DR wing but likes the look of the Oxycheq, long and narrow. Thinks it may fit will with the longer tank.

Back
Top Bottom