What wings are you using with your Freedom Plate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some pics of the plate with a Hog 32.
I haven't had any feedback (yet) on the Hollis wings, but looking at them on websites I don't know why they wouldn't work.

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 141
Eric,

Thanx for the pix, nice rig. I would think the only issue with a Hollis wing would be if the width of the cam slots is sufficient. I can see how the HOG fits just fine.

I am also considering trying a horse collar, have you ever tried one of these with your plate?

BTW, what kind of a dive light do you have? I am in the market for one now and was just wondering.

Thanx again

Eric,

Any pics of the Hog wing with your FP by any chance? Also, have you heard of anyone using the Hollis S25 wing with your plate?

You will need to be a bit more specific. Hollis has several versions of the s-series wing. I have the second version and not all plates fit it. I think Eric's would because the slots are cut longer than in some other plates. The Hollis STA can be detached so that is not a problem.

AMS,

Thanx for the reply, was considering the new Hollis S25 LX and the one question I have is how far apart are the cam slots from one another? On the HOG 32 wing they are 3 3/8" and that works good for the FP.

If you can measure them that would help me out a lot, thanx again.

I am also considering trying a horse collar, have you ever tried one of these with your plate?

BTW, what kind of a dive light do you have? I am in the market for one now and was just wondering.
I have never tried a horse collar.
I do sometimes dive the plate wingless, just the tank on the plate. A bit of a learning curve with weighting and breathing but that's how they used to do it. It's a thrill and quite liberating.
I use a DRIS 1000 lumen light. It's the nicest back up style light I've used so far.
I also have a UK SL4 led 400 Lm and it's also good little light for the money.

The plate is irrelevant to a horse collar. I’ve used them a lot without a back pack or plate, just straps attached to the bands. Unfortunately the horse collar itself has a lot of the bad characteristics of a poodle jacket BC. An old-school plastic back pack or Freedom Plate and a small wing is the closest I have found to diving without a BC at all... for comfort and reduced stuff in your way.

Also as I understand it the horse collar was not originaly intended to be a BCD, but rather a Surface Floatation Device.
Somewhere along the line the HC did become a BCD but I think it's popularity as such was short lived.
A HC to me seems like the epitome of clutter and a feeling of needless clutter suffocation. Just thinking about it I would never be able to use one.

As I recall the evolution, the Mae-West vests (surface oral inflation, CO2 cartridge, and no OPV valve) gave way to nothing on most people because they were useless since your wetsuit provided all the surface buoyancy without a belt you could ever use... except in the Navy. ???

Along came the Bouée Fenzy in the mid-late 1960s which was a larger capacity horse collar with an oral inflator, OPV, and a small HP bottle that could inflate at depth.

The Fenzy clones started to hit the market and power inflators were included. Wings and poodle jackets started to show up a little later or around the same time.

I'm using the MachV 30# Oxy as well. I'm curious if anyone knows any functional buoyancy character differences between the Oxy and the Hog.

As I recall the evolution, the Mae-West vests (surface oral inflation, CO2 cartridge, and no OPV valve) gave way to nothing on most people because they were useless since your wetsuit provided all the surface buoyancy without a belt you could ever use... except in the Navy. ???

Along came the Bouée Fenzy in the mid-late 1960s which was a larger capacity horse collar with an oral inflator, OPV, and a small HP bottle that could inflate at depth.

The Fenzy clones started to hit the market and power inflators were included. Wings and poodle jackets started to show up a little later or around the same time.
Wasn't the original orange Scubapro Stab Jacket pretty much the first official "poodle jacket"?
Or was there something similar before that? (as far as that style)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom