What's a good light reliable reg to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediver009:
Just remember it is life support equipment, so its likely the last piece of equipment you want to skimp on. Also, the weight of the mouth piece can be decreased with a proper mouthpiece that works for you....

With current sales promotions I can buy an Aqualung "Titan" for $149.95 from a local authorized dealer. That's about as cheap as regs get but it's also one of the most robust and reliable regs on the market. So if "safe and reliable" is the only criteria you don't need to spend big bucks. I recently spent twice the Titan's price for an Apeks because it breaths so much better but I doubt even at twice the price it is any more reliable than the AL Titan.

No, there are alot of regs that are very reliable and are not big bucks. Reliability does not bear a large price, it is the options that you get on the reg. environmental seals, adjustability, venturi controls, and het sinks all contribute to the price of a regulator. And although they may have different names they are all essentially the same reg in some cases. Take the apeks line for example.

There is the base AT20...
... add a heat sink and you get the ATX40...
... add a diver adjustment knob and you have the ATX50

Then take the Sherwood line starting with the Magnum..
... add moisture rentention fins and you get an Oasis
... add a heat sink add you have a blizzard...
... throw on a venturi and an adjustment and you have a maximus.

The easiest way that I think that you could solve your reg dilemma is make a list of all the reg features that you can find. Identify, them all, and then check off the ones that are important and relevant to you. Once you have your magic list, find a reg that offers them all. Guaranteed happiness......:)
I would say that Aqualung Titan has potential to be as bulletproof as an Apeks given that it has the Env kit...

I have an aeris atmos sport. It is very compact and breathes great. I've had it down to 104ft in Grand Caymen and it was incredible and I am typically a heavy breather. The coldest water I put it in has been 49 degrees but will find out more about that later this winter after I get my drysuit training. I bought this from scuba toys and they were right, it is an excellent regulator.

Take a look at the Zeagle Envoy. Great regs, lifetime warranty to the original owner. You can get a 1st and 2nd stage for about $300. I know a lot of cave divers that use them on doubles, as well as some tech divers who use them on stage bottles.

Mike

lately every time it comes to either buying hoses, disassembly for cleaning, or conversations about price, I find myself happy with my Dive Rite regulators. No gimmicky hoses (some people have to pay $100 or more for a hose?), very easy to take apart, parts are available to the consumer, and all specs are online if you get into working on your own gear. It is life-support equipment, yes, but I'm not sure the complexity, expensive proprietary parts and the lack availability of repair parts (to anyone but authorized shops) need to be part of the equation.

Dive Rite is based right here in Florida, so their parts and people are easy to get a hold of, and their regs seem to work very well for $100 less than the competition.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/

( http://www.fillexpress.com/ - my LDS, part of Dive Rite Express )

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/

[Then take the Sherwood line starting with the Magnum..
... add moisture rentention fins and you get an Oasis
... add a heat sink add you have a blizzard...
... throw on a venturi and an adjustment and you have a maximus.

[/QUOTE]

Add 5 belleville washers and 2 more ports to the Brute first stage, and you have a Magnum.

I agree with most of what you say, but the Brut is not quite that bad. Bruts are extremely popular as rentals at many Caribbean resorts where they are regularly dived to 100 feet or more without incident.

I have the Dive Rite RG1200's. The 2nd stages are adjustable and very light. Also dive with Scubapro Mark 10's and G200 2nds. You may also want to take a look at the new Salvo Regulators which are very similar to the Dive Rites.

As long as you're looking at Sherwoods (Self & wife have Blizzards) consider the Blizzard if you see yourself getting into water in the low 40S F or colder or the Oasis for warmer water only. The second stages are very light, the Wisdom mouthpiece very comfortable for us (YMMV) and the "walrus" exhaust Tee doubles as a chin rest if you are swimming into a current or are swimming hard. As second stages go they are not all that big either.

These models are easilly serviced almost anywhere and are very reliable.

Pete

Note, yes I did see the OP date, it may be helpful to some lurkers.

Jazz:
Was hoping to get some input on which reg to buy. I have seen the sherwood Maximus, Oceanic Zeta which is quite expensive and scuba pro, which is too big.

Does anyone know of light small regs?

jazz

Since this thread is almost 2 years old, I'd hope Jazz found the right regs for him. :wink:

Can I ask the same question again - 2 years along the line? I dive warm waters and fly there - hence need for light weight reg. Yes, dive Nitrox. No, do not require hurricanes of air at each breath. No, do not have huge amounts of cash for expensive titanium. (On the other hand with crack-downs on over-weight baggage - including weighing hand luggage - it might be worth it). Am going to the London International Dive Show in a few weeks time and will be able to get a close look at regs that are suggested.

Would be grateful for any comments - if only a confirmation of some of the old ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom