What's a good light reliable reg to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really most regs made by reliable companies are more than adequate for recreational diving; I've done many dives on the "lowly" MK2/R190 and it performs very well; not quite as smooth as my MK15/G250, but completely acceptable. And the truth is that the simpler the reg design, the more reliable it is, although any decent quality reg these days will be very reliable if it's maintained. The balanced first stage is not the big deal that many make it out to be; on my MK2 there is a SLIGHT increase in breathing resistance as the tank nears empty, like 300PSI, and by that time, if you're not heading for the surface, you might need the reminder that air is getting low. Depth affects balanced and unbalanced first stages exactly the same way, contrary to what you might hear at the LDS bent on selling you the top model. OTOH, so many first stages are balanced that it's almost a non-issue in today's market.

I'd be cautious about trying to save ounces; once you're in the water the weight makes no difference, and in general larger 2nd stages have a slight performance advantage to smaller ones, all else being equal. Plus, unless you're the kind of person that cuts the handle off on your toothbrush to save an ounce or so (an old mountain climbers' trick) you'll never notice the difference in weight in your gear bag.

An overlooked but very important consideration IMO is the availability of parts and service in the areas you'll be diving; this tips the scale in favor of the larger companies that sell regs all over the world; SP, aqualung, mares. Atomic regs, for example, have a great reputation, but are made and sold primarily in the U.S. if I'm not mistaken, so you might get stuck someplace remote if you need a replacement part while on vacation.

Hi pelan-pelan,

I dive in Singapore, Thailand, and the surrounding waters and I never had any issues with these brands, Aqualung, Apeks & Scubapro. Atomics are a little harder to come by but there is a supplier here in Singapore. Please note that most of Asia uses the Yoke or international connection, which is a little heavier.

If you really wanted my recomendations I would say in this order:
1. Apeks DS4 first stage and a ATX 50 second. Cheap light and good enough for technical diving.
2. Scubapro MK25/S600 really sweet reg.
3. Scubapro MK17/555 diaphram and just as good as the MK25, just ask DA Aquamaster.

Happy hunting,
SangP

Btw, if you wanted a not so light reg but a super reg non the less, I'm selling my Aqualung LX(used less then 15x), pm me if you are interested.

As Mattboy said, any reg from Scubapro, Aqualung or Mares will fulfill all your needs for recreational diving and you'll be able to service them almost everywhere in the world if needed.

pelan-pelan:
No, do not have huge amounts of cash for expensive titanium. (On the other hand with crack-downs on over-weight baggage - including weighing hand luggage - it might be worth it).
At most, a titanium regulator shaves off a pound or so compared to your standard Brass regulator.

I couldn't find the weights of many regulators for comparison (didn't look that hard), but I did learn earlier today that the Atomic T2 is only 3/4 of a pound lighter than my Zeagle Flathead VI.

Probably not worth $1000 more to shave off 3/4 of a pound.

Pretty funny that the new thing is lightweight regulators made from exotic metals (titanium, tungsten, unobtanium, kryptonite, etc.). It's not like they were that heavy to begin with!

-Brandon.

Jazz:
Was hoping to get some input on which reg to buy. I have seen the sherwood Maximus, Oceanic Zeta which is quite expensive and scuba pro, which is too big.

Does anyone know of light small regs?

jazz
Touted as "the smallest 2nd Stage around":
http://www.aqualung.com/products/titan_micra_adj_p2.html

pelan-pelan:
Can I ask the same question again - 2 years along the line? I dive warm waters and fly there - hence need for light weight reg. Yes, dive Nitrox.

If diving warm water only, I would recommend a Scubapro MK25/S600 (or G250HP if you don't mind a bigger second stage). An R390 makes a great backup second stage. If you want extreme reliability and not concerned about ultra-high performance, the Scubapro MK2+/R190 or R295 is a very inexpensive combo...

I have a few Apeks setup for diving doubles and the Apeks are great (easy to service, extremely reliable, but quite expensive here in SE Asia compared to Scubapro...) - but just for single tank rec dive in warm water, I prefer my Scubapro MK20/25 + S600 for the great hose routing and light weight.

Thanks to all. Yes it is difficult to research the weights of these things. But, yes there are differences. Is it worth it to save weight? Only if the thing breathes OK and is reliable. And many are. And although I don't cut the end off the toothbrush (hey, now there's an idea) if you don't watch the half pounds you can find yourself carrying much more than is necessary.

Yes, agree, always choose something that can be serviced out east. Yes, I know yokes are heavier than DIN and yoke is what I use. Only once had to DIN in the places I dive.

Thanks for link to Aqualung. Don't know how much the Micra weighs but will take a look at it. Am suspicious of exotic (and hugely expensive sometimes) new materials. Other people can find out if they are any good. OK titanium regs well tested by now.

Thanks for recommendation of Scubapro - that's what I used to use but didn't get on with the breathe, drowned in air really. Changed to Oceanic and much happier with the breathe. But time has come to consider change - hence looking at lighter weight if possible (Oceanic not over-heavy).

Thanks for link to comparison site - will take a look.

Lots of common-sense here - real help to anyone asking this kind of question. Thanks again all.

I use an Apek US4 for my traveling, tiny and weighs very little. ATX40 2nd stage.

if you want to go piston, I'll put a vote in for a Scubapro Mk2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom