What's a rebreather?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debersole:
Stefan, defend yourself!

Caveseeker7 definitely "owns" a rebreather! He is a VERY experienced rebreather diver. As you can see on his avatar, he dives the Prism. He was a great help to me when I was deciding to go with the Sport Kiss!

Actually he doent own one, but used one while SMI was in california..

Daylonious:
Caveseeker - excellent post on "what is a rebreather" I've printed it out and am going to keep it as a reference...I really want to dive an RB one day, but to be frank they ARE intimidating - okay they scare me.

All in all, that's probably a good thing, a little fear certainly makes you double and triple check everything.

Now if I can just sell my car and go by a Cygnus Mk5....D.

Really excellent Rush reference, Daylonious. Now we all feel twice the nerd we felt before, while answering the ? posed by a pretty girl...-Andy

padiscubapro:
Actually he doent own one, but used one while SMI was in california..

Joe if I didn't know no better by yr spell'n, I'd think you were a hillbilly. This as opposed to the well rounded, intelligent, city dweller I met in the Bronx recently-Andy

silent running:
Joe if I didn't know no better by yr spell'n, I'd think you were a hillbilly. This as opposed to the well rounded, intelligent, city dweller I met in the Bronx recently-Andy

I should reread my posts before hitting submit... but... sometimes I'm too lazy..

Turn my back to the computer for one eve and got some troll all over me. :bluthinki
empressdiver:
Its remarkable that Caveseeker7 could provide such well-written summaries of rebreather functions yada, yada, yada ...
I own neither RBs nor ruby red slippers but my knowledge or skills seem only remarkable if they're above your own. :lol:

Daylonious:
I really want to dive an RB one day, but to be frank they ARE intimidating - okay they scare me.

All in all, that's probably a good thing, a little fear certainly makes you double and triple check everything.
D.

Daylonious, this is exactly the right place to start on the RB path which should lead to ultimate diver responsibility. Your fear is very healthy, you must make a friend of fear. It will save you someday...-Andy

mermaid8773:
OK...don't make fun of me, please.....this is a term I've not heard until visiting this board.

What's a rebreather?

Please don't laugh at me.......but, this isn't something we covered in the class! :11:

Big Hugs~

Alix
Only the greatest pice of gear ever created, that if I don't get one soon I'm going to lose my mind.

You can send donations to grunzster@comcast.net through PayPal. I would be willing to trade 2 sets of double 80s for a Meg, though.:D

grunzster:
Only the greatest pice of gear ever created, that if I don't get one soon I'm going to lose my mind.

You can send donations to grunzster@comcast.net through PayPal. I would be willing to trade 2 sets of double 80s for a Meg, though.:D

They are great tools. Personally, they are great tools for certain missions. Other than that they are a pain. The cleaning, disinfecting, replacing sensors, calibrating and time devoted to learning the craft should be considered. Having owned and used several different models I can say that sometimes putting on a set of lightweight doubles and just going diving is a pleasureable thing. Not too much to think about.

The thing I like the most about RB's is the the lack of rust falling during penetrations into a ship and not having to fret as much about gas consumption if I get in a sticky situation.

DEar Alex

with regards to your question about rebreathers. A rebreather is a piece of diving equipment that recycles the gas that you breath, chemically removing the carbon dioxide, whilst at the same time making up oxygen level

There are basically 3 types

1) Pure oxygen rebreather, normally used by the military dirty tricks brigade, max depth about 6 metres, Definitly not advisable for use by recreational divrs

2) Semi Closed Rebreather. (SCR) these are mechanically operated units which continually vent off small amounts of gas. Very simple to operate, but you must have a good grasp of the theory of nitrox, to use one

THey are relativly inexpensive, starting at around 1600 pounds sterling
they include such units as the Drager Dolphin and Ray

3) Closed Circuit Rebreathers (CCR) These are electronically controled units which you preprogramme for the dive you are about to undertake. They basically take care of the gasmixing for you and onboard computers will sort out your deco

Max depth of these units is theoretically unlimited, however the logistical support required means that for the majority of recreational users the max depth is around 100 metres

Commercial divers use a similar system as a bail out for deep saturation diving for dives in excess of 200 metres where a normal cylinder would only last a couple of minutes

THe military have closed circuit units max depth is classified

As with all diving equipment, it is not the equipment that is dangerous but the user, in the majority of accidents the user has been found to be at fault. one of the most common faults is diving the unit with the gas switched off. As you are breathing from a loop there is gas which you can breath, the only trouble is that the oxygen level goes down with every breath.

If you are considering rebreathers try the SCR first and build up your experience. remember it takes 4 years to train a military rebreather diver, about 2 years to train a commercial diver, and a recreational diver can do a two day course and get a qualifiation. Know wonder there are rebreather accidents in the recreational sector

If you need any further information please contactme

Gaschef

ITDA Technical Course Director,

Back
Top Bottom