what's a secondary way of securing a wirst computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestion.

I got the idea now!. By the way, I love the bungee cord concept. I'm going do exactly that when I get my dive computer and compass.

I can see how the strap pins could be a potential problem, but how common is a failure of this nature? How is the fishing line concept really that much safer than the pin? Is the problem in that the pin slides out of place?

Originally posted by MuddyFox
I can see how the strap pins could be a potential problem, but how common is a failure of this nature? How is the fishing line concept really that much safer than the pin? Is the problem in that the pin slides out of place?
In my opinion fishing line is much more secure than the strap pins. I'll admit the strap pins in most computers are pretty heavy duty in comparison to your average watch strap pins but still, I would think that they could potentially pop out with enough force. Four or 5 wraps of 24lb. test fish line torqueing down the bungee is VERY secure. I've used mine on about 15 dives so far and there are no signs whatsoever of the fish line or bungee coming loose.

I think wrapping the bungie around the pins is just as secure as any other method. Not only do you have redundant bungie straps but you have redundant pins. The possibility of both pins failing at the same time seems very improbable. IMO, the bungie would break or fray before the pins fail.

Super glue or epoxy the pins in place, then thread the bungee through them :)

Originally posted by jonnythan
Super glue or epoxy the pins in place, then thread the bungee through them :)
Hey...there you go, that's a good idea too.

Back
Top Bottom