What's In/on Your Bc?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Usually a little air :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I usually had my line cutter in my left pocket, torch clipped to my right chest dring and a smb and spool on my right bcd waist dring. Not much in the way of pockets on my Scubapro Nighthawk which I think is good as old end up like a Christmas tree!

Depends on where I am diving. I have a whistle in my right pocket of my bcd (Scubapro Seahawk) all the time. I will clip my safety sausage on if I'm diving in a place where I believe it could be useful. That's it for me.

Hi, all.

I'm curious what everyone has clipped onto, zip-tied to, or in their BC. Go! :)

Me so far: dive light on a retractor, SPG on a retractor, DAN insurance info, allergies and emergency contact on a dog tag.

Planned: SMB/reel. I also decided not to go with an Air Source for my BC and am going by way of a traditional octo. What do you recommend to keep it handy and in control? Thanks and looking forward to everyone's answers!

On my traditional BCD I have a whistle and a knife.

Pocket may contain a snorkel and/or blob if the dive warrants one.

R..

On shoulder D rings - 2x torches.

On waist of harness - 2 weight pockets, knife and shears.
Waist D ring - console clipped to LHS. Optional SMB if required clipped to rear.

SPG left d ring, knife on waist strap and smb/spool on rear d-ring as I don't have any pockets!

Left shoulder ring - whistle
Left hip ring - SMB
Right waist ring - big camera on a coiled lanyard
Right shoulder (lower) - octo in mouthpiece holder
Right shoulder (upper) - AI computer, routed under left arm, can read without touching
Left pocket - scissors
Right pocket - thumb reel, knife

DC bungee boot left wrist, compass bungee boot back of left hand, light clipped right chest and through a snoopy loop; spg clipped left hip, SMB clipped right hip (swap for a DSMB & spool if needed, especially drift diving); small knife mounted on LP inflator hose; for a nice reef bimble I'll clip on my magnifier (thanks, Doc); for Bonaire clip a small otter box in an add-on sport pocket with keys, cc, & lunch money...geez starting to sound like a Christmas tree. I don't carry it all all the time, I swear:dork2:. Try to pare it down for what's needed for the particular dive, but like air, you need what you need. :)

Depends on if there is a pony or not. If pony

AL 19 slung on left with spg wrapped around it. smb and reel hang from lower left ring. small dive knife on outside of left pocket. Spare mask in left pocket.
Only thing on the right side is my camera which clips to the lower right bottom clip on a lanyard and the octo. In right pocket is a second dive knife, flashlight, strobe, and a small orange plastic tube that will unroll to form a 30 ft bright orange streamer to make easily visible from the air. Flashlight has a clip so that if I am using it I can hang it from a D ring when not in use. Put back in pocket before going up.

Idea is that I want my right side free for use of camera and in case an air share or similar issue arises.

There are a few dives on which this changes. If I am doing a fossil tooth dive in 100 ft of water I may wear a pair of dive shorts. Then smb and a digging tool go in the dive shorts. I do not bring the camera. Small game bag for teeth is hung on the right D ring.

I'm curious what everyone has clipped onto, zip-tied to, or in their BC.
I carry a back-up (or primary) light my right shoulder / chest strap (clipped to a D-ring, with the head bungeed down to the strap), a lift bag in a sleeve, clipped to the bottom left (vertical) side of the plate, and a SMB bungeed along the bottom horizontal edge of that plate, and my primary cutting tool (EMT shears) on my right waist strap. Everything else (spools, wet notes, compass, back-up cutting device) is in pockets (on my exposure suit) or a pocket on my waist strap.
I . . . am going by way of a traditional octo. What do you recommend to keep it handy and in control? Thanks and looking forward to everyone's answers!
Good question. Although i happen to personally favor the use of a 'long hose', I more generally recommend the following configuration to new(er) divers, and teach its use in all of my private OW classes:

1. Put your alternate air source (nee 'octo') on the shorter of your two second stage hoses (usually 32-36"). Put a bungee necklace on that second stage, and position the second stage under your chin when diving. That way, your alternate is always right where it should be, and where you can easily access it, to put it in your mouth in the event that your primary regulator gets knocked out of your mouth, or you need to donate it to another diver, in an OOA situation (unlikely, but possible). IOW, in that position it is definitely both 'handy and in control'.

2. Put your primary second stage on the longer of your two second stage hoses (usually 40"; often it is a yellow hose). Route the hose under your arm, and possibly add a 70 or 90 degree elbow (an $8 item: Swivels and Elbows | Dive Gear Express®) between the end of the hose and the second stage to facilitate routing. That second stage becomes the one you donate in an OOA situation - you know it is working at the moment you donate it, it is on the longer of the two hoses, and it is the one that an OOA diver is most likely to immediately see.

I see no point is wasting time with, and money on, the various 'octo holders' that too often leave your alternate air source dragging behind you. Even the pockets that are now appearing on some BCDs (e.g. Aqualung) are less than optimal. In an OOA situation, if you are diving in proper horizontal trim, the one second stage that an OOA diver is likely to see when they approach you is the one that is in your mouth, not one that is somewhere lower in the (Bermuda) 'triangle'. That is the one you should donate. Then go to your alternate which is immediately accessible, under your chin. And, you can set up this configuration without changing hoses - the common hose lengths work just fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom