What's slowing the fixes to Oceanlog?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To summarize the theme here:
1. Oceanic gives this software away.
2. The intention is to create demand for their Dive Computers and cable kits.
3. They are apparently unwilling to invest the resources required to
A) Make the software work reliably.
B) Port it to non-windows platforms.
4. They are also reluctant to publish the interface protocol so others may fill the gaps.

This combination mystifies many posters here who are software professionals of some ilk (this includes me, abeit retired). To boil it down, if better or more accessible (e.g. Mac) software will sell more Oceanic hardware (seems obvious), and Oceanic gives their software away, why not let others help out with s/w development at minimal cost to Oceanic?

So I'll ask Doug to answer that. Rather than badger him for actions that Oceanic is apparently unwilling to take, maybe just explain Oceanic's concerns and decision processes. He doesn't have to, but I'll submit that he should want to:

If the reasons make business sense, I think most here would stop the complaints.
He ought to prefer that state of affairs. :cool2:

If the reasoning is faulty, perhaps we can make progress here convincing Oceanic of that. If I was running a business and made a faulty decision, I'd want it corrected, eh? The goal is to sell more dive computers and cables, right?

I'll muddy the waters with my speculation: Oceanic has contracted with some third party that now owns some aspect of the protocol, or exclusive rights to supply interface software for Oceanic's computers. So they are not free to do what we all think is in Oceanic's interest, leaving us puzzled. Really, that's the best I can come up with to explain Oceanic's position.

Doug, can I convince you to at least explain Oceanic's position here?

I originally purchased a Pro Plus 2 due to the large display. When I purchased the cable to download, I found that I had to hold it in place due to the lack of any kind of positive clip or interlock. I talked to an Oceanic Rep at a dive show about the problem and told there was no fix. That was three years ago and to date the Pro Plus 2 has the same problem.

The software originally was compatible with Microsoft Access but the next version was not. I have downloaded every version since and never have been satisfied with it.

When I purchased a new dive computer I stayed away from Oceanic due to there lack of concern to the original cable problem.

I would think they would want to keep customers in todayÃÔ market happy and fix some of the old problems. But that seems not to be the case. The data mask screw failures are another good example of poor engineering.

I'll muddy the waters with my speculation: Oceanic has contracted with some third party that now owns some aspect of the protocol, or exclusive rights to supply interface software for Oceanic's computers. So they are not free to do what we all think is in Oceanic's interest, leaving us puzzled. Really, that's the best I can come up with to explain Oceanic's position.

Sorta, but not quite. Oceanic (and Aeris and Sherwood + Hollis I assume) get their computer AND the software from Pelagic Pressure Systems which is "somewhat" individual. If you look under the covers you'll see that Bob Hollis is the CEO and founder of Oceanic (plus 2002 Designs and ROMI), his son Mike Hollis co-founded and runs Pelagic and I believe Nick Hollis is his other son at Hollis Gear. So, while Oceanic and PPS are separate, they are closely tied together.

For 2+ years, we have been very receptive and responsive to bug reports and feature requests, thanks virtually exclusively to the users here on scubaboard. As much as I dislike saying it, we have limited resources. Our developers are and have been very focused on the upcoming release of a new product with a significant redesign to OceanLog. We all very much appreciate the support of existing customers - and while we are currently dedicating our resources to this new version - it is designed to be backwards compatible. Our developers are very aware of this and other related threads, and I am as anxious as some of you are for it's release (look for a beta version here on the board of course).

A recent poster stated that Oceanlog used to use an access database. It still does, only the extension has been changed from mdb to dlg. If you rename the log file you can open it in access (after you enter the database password). The database structure is very straightforward. The errors people have been reporting in this software are from the coding and not the underlying database. All my dive sites are correct in the database, however, occasionally they appear different within Oceanlog.

I, like many others, would like to see these annoying bugs eradicated.

For 2+ years, we have been very receptive and responsive to bug reports and feature requests, thanks virtually exclusively to the users here on scubaboard. As much as I dislike saying it, we have limited resources. Our developers are and have been very focused on the upcoming release of a new product with a significant redesign to OceanLog. We all very much appreciate the support of existing customers - and while we are currently dedicating our resources to this new version - it is designed to be backwards compatible. Our developers are very aware of this and other related threads, and I am as anxious as some of you are for it's release (look for a beta version here on the board of course).

That's interesting news Doug and it does explain the recent lack of activity. I hope the new OceanLog is an improvement to the point where we can recommend your computers because of the software.

I understand the pressure to bring a new product to market and hopefully a influx of sales. What Oceanic needs to understand is that the most likely customers for a new high end product like the OC1 computer are happy users of prior products in the line.
As a owner of Atom 1.0, Atom 2.0 and VT3 computers I've already experience 2 major releases and many patch fix releases of Oceanlog.
For a company that has a reputation for excellent service and backing it products well, I must say you are dropping the ball when it comes to backing your computer lines logging software.
We customers do consider that when we look to purchase or recommend to our friends (Your largest source of new customers)
So now when people ask about the computers I dive I have to qualify my answers with the computers are great but the software sucks.
This isn't the kind of advertizing any company needs and really should be a major concern to company officials from Marketing Director up.
Customers aren't concerned with a companies resources just the quality and price of the products.
Excuses don't cut it.

You rag and rag and say that you don't care about limited resources. So they hire more resources and charge us all more (resources aren't free after all). What then? You'll just rag and rag about the price in all likelihood.

I for one would still like to see the spec released, but I am anxious to see what the new version will be like and see if it will solve some of my issues.

I am very happy that Doug has responded with a reply, abet one that doesn't say much, but one nevertheless - means he is still watching this thread. Thank you Doug.

Our developers are very aware of this and other related threads, and I am as anxious as some of you are for it's release (look for a beta version here on the board of course).

Lets hope it is soon as I am scared to open my OceanLog encase it jumbles up all my dives! I do love hovering over my logs and reminiscing :D

You rag and rag and say that you don't care about limited resources. So they hire more resources and charge us all more (resources aren't free after all). What then? You'll just rag and rag about the price in all likelihood.

You call it ragging but the fact of the matter is I've ponied up 3 times already not based on merely the cost but also based on the features the products advertized.
This included the ability to download and log my dives to PC.
So far this feature isn't working properly and I'm entitled to have this situation rectified.
We as customers shouldn't have to beg to get this resolved.
I'm not the only one that feels this way. Others on this forum and on other forums have posted their displeasure. If we are bringing this to light here how many others are equally displeased that are not aware of the forums?

Back
Top Bottom