What's the best caribbean livaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gajeep94yj

Contributor
Reaction score
Wife and I are looking for our first liveaboard trip. Only request would be that it has some what cheaper flights to where it leaves from. We are in Atlanta so would think the Caribbean would be the cheapest flight.

any suggestions, or almost as important any places to avoid?

ETA: links would be great too.

Thanks,
Seth

The Cayman Aggressor is always a good bet, as is the M/V Spree.

I have only been on one liveaboard in the Caribbean, so I can't tell you what the best is. But the Belize Aggressor was (it's been 4 or 5 years since my last trip) a great boat, crew, and itinerary. I did two trips on it because it was the best diving I could get from New York with just a week off. The Saturday morning direct flight from Newark would have me on the back of the boat setting up my tank by 3:00 PM. I don't know how flights are from Atlanta, but it's worth checking out, as is the Peter Hughes vessel in Belize (which is also owned by Aggressor, dives the same spots, and might be a nicer boat.)

What's the best caribbean livaboard?

I haven't been on one yet, so all I can do is ask a few clarifying questions that may help you get more precise info. from those who have. I suspect you're after an 'all around' best, but it may help to find out how important the 'on the boat' experience is to you vs. the awesomeness of the dive sites. I imagine you want both, but a roomier living space and less 'shared' bathroom means more to some people than others, as does space to hang out when not diving, food, etc... And someone else might want a big variety of dive sites.

Would you prefer a place mainly done by live-aboards? I hear Turks & Caicos might fill the bill. Since onshore nightlife won't be an issue, would the submerged peaks near Saba be of interest? Are you a big, big fan of diving near vertical walls? Would a shark-feeding dive be a big deal for you - if so, the Bahamas might tickle your fancy. Do you prefer warm waters year round, so you don't need a wet suit diving? If so, and you're going in winter, the Bahamas might be out. If you really enjoy diving around wrecks, or you love coral reefs, or you are eager to see big animals, or some specific kind of animal (e.g.: maybe a manta ray), tell us.

Richard.

Reactions: Doc
you live in a prime area for getting to the Caribbean easily....notice I did not say economically since airfare is not cheap any longer ;-) I have been on several liveaboards in the Caribbean
IMO this is the order in which I would rank the diving
Cayman Islands
Turks & Caicos
Belize

IMHO, it is without a doubt the Cuan Law -- Luxury Sailing in the British Virgin Islands

It's a 105 foot sailing trimaran. Sleeps 20. Principally sails the BVI, although they do some other local areas as well. My wife and I and another couple spent a week on her last year, and it was one of the best experiences we've ever had. Everything was top notch. Can't say enough good things about it.

IMHO, it is without a doubt the Cuan Law --

Glad to hear you had a good experience! My wife and I are booked on the Cuan Law this coming February and we're really looking forward to it!

We now alternate between the Explorer Ventures Turks & Caicos Explorer II and the Peter Hughes Sun Dancer in Belize as we believe they are the "best" in the caribbean (YMMV). Ivery now and then we flip over to the Explorer Ventures Saba boat.

As indicated above, you need to think about what type of diving you want to do.

In the turks the top of reef is generally around 50' so we end up getting close to NDL limits and often sit out 1 or 2 dives a day (but NEVER the night dive!).
In belize the reef top sand is around 30' so NDL is never a problem (just hunger & sleepiness).

The different boat lines have different levels of service (Hughes boat have the crew serve your supper for you). Room appointments are also different. My dive buddy (and booking agent) refuses to sleep below the water line and will only book on a boat where she can get a top side room.

I heard so many good things about the Aqua Cat that I booked the entire boat for the 4th of July next year. I think it's going to be a heck of a trip and it's already sold out!

IMHO, it is without a doubt the Cuan Law -- Luxury Sailing in the British Virgin Islands

It's a 105 foot sailing trimaran. Sleeps 20. Principally sails the BVI, although they do some other local areas as well. My wife and I and another couple spent a week on her last year, and it was one of the best experiences we've ever had. Everything was top notch. Can't say enough good things about it.

I don't have much comparative experience, but I spent a week on Cuan Law for my Dad's 70th birthday and it was an absolute blast. Very roomy and relaxed for the non-divers and plenty of toys to play with when you didn't want to go underwater.

Plus, the lead diver instructor, Emily has the three essential qualities of the perfect dive instructor: (i) she is an excellent diver, (ii) she has a sparkling and friendly personality, and (iii) she's hot. Just don't her I said that or I'll never hear the end of it from her Mum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom