What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The coldest I've ever dived wearing a wetsuit was 42 degrees (F). But that was a long time ago. Now that I'm older I'm not as tolerant of being cold as I once was ... so anything below about mid-70's I'm wearing a drysuit ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My coldest dive wet was 47 below the thermocline and 62 on the surface. I dove that in a 7mil farmer john quite comfortably. Since I have learned how to be still and not be in constant motion I get cold below 70. I found a drysuit for just as much as a top shelf wetsuit and have never looked back. Every dive is dry even if it’s just a skin under the shell! If I had to dive wet in cold water I would be investing in a heated vest just because I’ve gotten spoiled. For me more goes into thermal consideration than just a single temp, is there a thermocline, how long will I be in the specific temperature, what is the expected activity level, and what are the surface conditions to expect between dives?

If you want to dive a lot, that's about all we got up here in northern New England. I dive a 7mm semi-dry so temps 50sF (and above) are awesome, 40sF are par for the course and 30sF are a challenge but doable.

Kharon is right, getting out during a cloudy day with a brisk wind is not good.

Last edited:
About 50F. Although I’ve done high 40s briefly. This was in a 5mm before I got my 7mm.

Last edited:
The coldest wet dives that I recall were 38F at depth (90-100ft). Probably mid 60s at the surface. I was using a 2pc 7mm wetsuit, and 5mm hood.

The thing I remember most was hitting the themocline at around 60ft on the ascent. All of a sudden, it felt like a nice warm bath. Then I looked at my gauges, and realized that it was still only 50F! And no-- I did not pee in the wetsuit to make it feel suddenly warm...

I use a drysuit for those dives now...

My coldest dive to date was 53 degrees in a 2/3 mil with a 2 mil vest underneath. I was cold but not so cold that I couldn't enjoy the dive. Granted, I grew up swimming on the coast of Maine with no wetsuit at all where the water temps rarely ever reach 70 degrees even at the height of summer.

I just got a new 5/7 mil suit so could probably be ok down into the 40's.

My brother-in-law used to dive for scallops in Maine all winter long. He said drysuits were too cumbersome to effectively work so he wore a 7mm wetsuit.

Personally, I have no desire to ever own a drysuit.

For me, I am not easily cold, I icebath every winter, that said. I do not dive in wetsuit in colder than about 20-25 C.

I only dive wet when travel, i have one €30 2mm full and thats ok when diving in warm water, i do not get cold much. When i dive at home I use a drysuit, it is almost newer above 10 C deeper than 10 meters.

I do not realy like the thick wetsuits, big difference in boyancy and they loose much of the insulation at depth.

So for me it is not realy how cold I would dive wet, more how cold I dive in a 2mm wetsuit, if I need warmer i just go dry.

I have dived in a wetsuit in 50 degrees, back in the day. Nowadays, anything below 67 and I am in my drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom