What's the coldest water you would dive in a 5 mm suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... I think I'm thinkin' in the right ball park, temp wise. Thanks, everyone! I can't wait for the water temps to warm up! Right now they're low to mid 40s... but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel! Spring has sprung!

I ran a 3/2 oneil no hood or gloves, 7mbooties in 62f at 45ft for 40 mins, was pretty chilly when I got out, next day wore my 3/2 with 7mhood and 7m gloves temp droped to 59f was liveable after i relieved myself a few times. month later purchased a 7m oneil fluidseem wore in conjuction with my hood-gloves down 100ft@55f for total runtime of 44mins, and got out of the water nice and toasty! a lil sweat on the forehead----

Cold is completley personal, it is what you make it! oat/ humid/windchill/bmi/size of testiculars all play a very important part in whats cold and whats C OOOOOOOLLLLLLD

I did 52 degrees in a Bare 5/4 with a 3mm core warmer over that, 3mm hood, 3mm gloves, at the bottom of Blue Water quarry in Pelham, Al... Froze my ***** off... wouldn't dream of doing it again without a dry suit... In fact, wouldn't dream of doing it again, period... I'll stick to the top quarry thermoclines in the 5/4, and my 3mm in the Caribbean...

I'm good down to about 72 in the 5/4 for 45 minutes. (I'm cold-natured... what can I say...)

Clearly, I am a wimp when it comes to getting cold. After 30 minutes wearing a 5mm in 77F (25C), I am starting to get a little cold.

7mm Henderson Gold Core FARMER JOHN 2-piece...nice n toasty at depth in 50 deg lake water....

I've dove both a 7/5 and a 5/3 in water as cool as 52 degrees. Both were comfy, the 7/5 I feel I probably could have gone colder even. The key to these for me was warm feet. I also dove the 7/5 at 52 degrees with thinner boots, and I froze my *** off, but with my 7mm boots on the next time I was comfy as can be... I also found that 55 degrees is my cutoff point for a hood too... 55 or colder, have to have it, 56 and above, it's very optional, and it takes a long time to get even cool without it. I honestly hate the hood, I almost feel claustraphobic with it over my ears (and I've never felt confined in any space)

10-11 degrees celsius, 30-40 minutes maximum, wearing a two piece 5mm wetsuit.

One dive per day. :)

I'm getting a DS by the end of the year...

If the water is wet, I'm diving dry!

75F or colder: DUI TLS350 w/appropriate undergarments
75F or warmer: DUI 30/30 and DUI stretch liner

I'll be doing 25-30 dry dives on the Cayman Aggressor next week. All the other passengers will be snickering. Except my buddy, who will also be diving dry.

12'c in a one piece oceanic suit 5mm, no gloves but a hood.

I was FREEZING at the end, trying to use a torch - useless, my hand was all over the place...

:froze:

I normally wear a 5mm, plus 5mm shorty and gloves and hood for around 12'c (10'c-20'c)

In a couple of weeks I'm purchasing a Aqualung ICELAND 7mm - hmm warm....:14:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom