What's your comfort zone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am comfortable to 100' but since I'm diving with air, the NDL's really limit the enjoyment ( all the more reason to go to EAN )

40-60 feet seemed to be the most enjoyable for me, but I must say conditions, current, vis, temp, boat traffic, aquatic life, etc. determine where I like to be on any particular dive.

PatH:
In the St. Lawrence there is no thermocline so it doesn't really matter.

That's not quite true as I discovered this summer. On August 8th of this year, I dove the Peel and the Vickery. Surface water temperature was 68 to 70F. At 95 feet there was a thermocline that dropped the temperature by about 10F.

It was very weird and very unusual.

As to the question of comfort level, with my current level of training, experience and equipment I am comfortable to a depth of 200 feet.

I have been totally comfortable in most of my dives to date. The deepest being 110ft. Granted I got freaked out testing my equipment, solo diving, at 35ft.

A good portion of my dives are in the 60-90 ft range, and I'm comfortable there. I've dived several times between 100 and 114 ft, and I was only uncomfortable there when I was cold and/or overexerted.

electric_diver:
That's not quite true as I discovered this summer. On August 8th of this year, I dove the Peel and the Vickery. Surface water temperature was 68 to 70F. At 95 feet there was a thermocline that dropped the temperature by about 10F.
True. As you get closer to the lake you can start to get the residual affects of the thermocline. The Wolfe is the extreme case; as it is geographically in the river but with the exception of a mild current, dives as if it's in the lake. I'm unaware of anyone experiencing any significant thermocline further downriver than Ivy Lea.

Hi
I like deep solo dives. it is totally for the challenge at this point. 60.5 meters is a gas.
I learned to shore dive off California, so 10 foot was a good dive most of the time.
As to comfort zone, I figure you need to stretch them or they get to restrictive and perhaps leds ou into complacenancy.

Fatimah

Some of my best dives have been in less that 30' of water with my little brother along.
As far as comfort goes i am fine with whatever, the logistical part of the dive is what
i like but i have to have a reason and my reason is usually a true wreck or a war related sinking. My favorite wreck to date was the "Roatan Express" that sits upright
in 180fsw off of floridas west coast, my deepest wreck dive to date was the "USS Kendrick" that sits on an even keel off of Key West Fl. in 330fsw.

Mike M.

Fatimah_Dive_Instructor:
Hi
I like deep solo dives. it is totally for the challenge at this point. 60.5 meters is a gas.
I learned to shore dive off California, so 10 foot was a good dive most of the time.
As to comfort zone, I figure you need to stretch them or they get to restrictive and perhaps leds ou into complacenancy.

Fatimah

OUTSTANDING just what every dive instructor should tell people.

Well Tom, I'd have to agree with you on this one, and to praise your choice of diving method GUE would stay the course and resist the temptation to teach the un-teachable.. GUE continues to discuss the benefits of a team approach, and not hide, but disclose, the dangers of solo diving. I think other agencies, like TDI is a blatant joke and it's sad that SSI is jumping into the solo diving program. I've never cared much for diving agencies but TDI serioulsy and particularly when you have the head of the agency smoking ??? at the seminars, writing articles for Rodales that says it's OK to have a few beers before a dive, dives air to 400' and brags about how many times he has blacked out and floated to the surface.... PADI and NAUI ( non -profit) seem to be in competition for market share and seem to be willing to compromise safety in favor of gains in market share and that's a shame.. Sooner or later ( hopefully sooner) diver's eyes will open and the pendulum will swing back in favor of safety over market share..

Tom R:
OUTSTANDING just what every dive instructor should tell people.
Probably not, but a properly trained and experienced instructor should be able to conduct dives within their level of training without the scorn of someone maybe less trained or experienced

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom