What's your comfort zone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr instructor, Solo diving is a dangerous practice. Instructors can do what ever they feel with in their own level of training on there own time, but to teach it to others is an ishue especialy when your giving out cert cards. This all came out of persons not wanting to dive on cattle boat dive trips with strangers, the "FIX" come out with a solo card and let them go.

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Mr instructor, Solo diving is a dangerous practice. Instructors can do what ever they feel with in their level of training on there own time, but to teach it to others is an ishue especialy when your giving out cert cards. This all came out of persons not wanting to dive on cattle boat dive trips with strangers, the "FIX" come out with a solo card and let them go.

Mr A

It may be you 'opinion' but you can not prove solo diving executed by an experienced and trained diver is dangerous. Before you drag out all the stats about solo divers getting killed when those facts are fraught with instances of people trying to remove the prop on their boat while holding a pony bottle under their arm or some such idiocy.
There are many proper applications of solo diving that doesn't involve cattle boats. If you wish to keep you head in the sand you will never have to be enlightened because you believe you already are.

This has nothing to do with changing a prop, been there done that on surface supply, it has to do with Diving Agencies providing questionable training methods to any diver to dive alone beyond the point were a controlled emergency accent won't help, what is the sence of an agency even wanting to go there $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My head is always in the sand on this board just ask any one.

Mr Adams:
This has nothing to do with changing a prop, been there done that on surface supply, it has to do with Diving Agencies providing questionable training methods to any diver to dive alone beyond the point were a controlled emergency accent won't help, what is the sence of an agency even wanting to go there $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

My head is always in the sand on this board just ask any one.

There were those who thought diving inside caves was suicidal. There is a great deal of data to support that. Yet you, who list yourself as a NACD member can condemn a practice that has as much right to exist as cave diving. It is probably more risky (to a lesser degree than caving) than buddy diving but will be practiced whether the training is available or not.
If I got on my high horse and said cave divers are all a bunch of crazy cowboys and the only reason for cave training was to make $$$$, would that be any different than your claim? I say no. I don't expect you understand the rational behind solo diving but you have no more cause to condemn it than I do your practice of diving in a deep dark hole, with no access to the surface. Your recourse will be of course training reduces the risk. And that my friend is my point.

wedivebc:
...you can not prove solo diving executed by an experienced and trained diver is dangerous.
Diving is dangerous... experience and training just assist in mitigating the risk. Most arguments encouraging solo diving assume the absence of a well drilled and capable team. Experienced and capable divers as part of a well drilled and capable team will be safer than the same divers alone.

wedivebc

I agree with you 100%, Cave divers are nuts and I'm the biggest nut of them all, I love cave diving and penetrating deep into unone wreck, the difference is, I do it with a team and with plenty of back up and a plan to boot, unlike Solo diving if you get into trouble YOUR DEAD there is no back up. This isn't rocket science the best thing to bring on a dive is buddy or two, because instant assistance is better than none. I can see that this topic will be argued about over and over, its kind of like you West coast divers telling us Ontario divers that the only way to dive in cold water is with a full face mask which is another past debate.

Mr A

wedivebc:
I don't expect you understand the rational behind solo diving.

Modern Cave divers and the generation of rec and tech divers that are up and coming all understand the buddy team and are moving to three man dive times, why? it's the ultimate form of redundancy. That's why?

Just remember during the 80's the guy that was too drunk to roll the joint, drove the car home. Attitudes and ideas are changing and if you as an instructor advocate some of the more dangerous practices, (Solo, deep air, etc) your going to get left behind.

Bottom line there is not rational way to think of solo diving.

divemed06:
Just curious as to what depth is in you comfort zone. Some people prefer shallow depths, while others much prefer going deep. By comfort zone, I mean at what depth do you enjoy diving the most (yes I know, diving is fun at any depth and depends on the dive objective so please don't give me hard time :cwmddd: )

Here are my comfort zones
In cold, low viz water: 40-60 feet
In warm water: 80-100 feet

I'm comfortable in anything up to about 45 metres. I dive frequently in the 30-35 metre zone and quite a lot in the 10-18 metre zone.

R..

Diver0001:
I'm comfortable in anything up to about 45 metres. I dive frequently in the 30-35 metre zone and quite a lot in the 10-18 metre zone.

R..

Thanks Diver0001 for returning the thread to its original topic. I was enjoying this thread up until someone had to bring up dive agency business.

My range in depth is anywhere from 15 to 120ft. Most have been in the 60-90 range. I agree with an earlier poster that said something about every depth having something great to see - some of my most enjoyable dives in the tropics have been 15 -30 ft range, where the top of the reef is teeming with life. Ahh, I need a vacation :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom