What's your favorite computor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a suunto cobra and a stinger. I've never had anyone complain about having to turn a dive too soon. But they are more conservative. I don't mind, and I kinda appreciate it. Since I'm a tad overweight, I try not to push the limits too much.

I love my Aeris Atmos Elite. I have had no problems with the hoseless air integration. All you have to do is turn it on, give it 2 seconds to sync with your tank, and you're ready to jump in the water. In the water it is a great computer with an easy to see and use interface. I don't think it's quite as conservative as some other makes.

-Eric

I used to love my Stinger. But like anything its great until you try something else.

Recently reviewed this computer. Citizen Aqualand NX.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Aqualand.htm

Did n't know what to expect and was shocked by the quality and some improved features over the Stinger. Well I liked it anyway!

FireM:
Hi!
datamax pro plus.big, easy to read screen, good backlight (for new jersey pea soup)user replacable battery, quick disconnect,and being made in the U.S.A. doesn't hurt one bit

The uwatec/scubapro- Air Z nitrox complete, wrist model.Beyond the standard computer fetures I love the remaining tank data screen and the decompression mode is very good.

The downside is that you need the memo mouse to change the settings but with the soft ware you have a really in depth dive profile and all the specific information that goes with it.

I would be wary of the new oceanic atom wrist computer is crapped out on its 10th dive, but its brand new it seems like most computers have some bugs in it.

I got the Suunto Cobra after hearing raves from my OW instructors. Haven't used anything else, so can't compare. Though there are some aspects of the Cobra that I find lacking (though I'm a new diver, so this could all be bogus):

First, the software which allows you to download the dives to your main PC is kinda limited. For example, it doesn't allow you to plot air consumption vs. time, which is kinda surprising to me. Would be nice, especially for us new guys. Also, there's limited indication of whether you exceed the maximum ascent rate. I guess that's tied into the fact that the minimum sample interval is 10 seconds. I think you could exceed the 30ft./min. ascent rate by bouncing up and down within the 10 second interval, but not have any indication when you graph it. A good example would be this: you are ascending, the computer samples your depth at 10ft, then at the next sample time 10 seconds later you are on the surface. All the computer can assume is that you ascended at 60 ft./min. (10ft/10 sec.). But it could have been much faster. I guess I'd like to have the option of a shorter sample interval and less stored dives. And it would be great to have an indicator of the highest ascent rates experienced during the dive. It would also be nice to be able to load an actual dive into the simulator so you can tweak it and see what happens, instead of having to enter point by point yourself. Maybe you can do that, but I haven't found how.

Second, as best as I can determine, tech support means either a call to Finland, or sending an email and waiting for a response. Not bad, but not the greatest.

Third, there are some things about the computer itself which bug me. For example, there seems to be a discrepancy with the STOP indicator when entering the 3 minute recommended safety stop. Sometimes the STOP indicator doesn't appear. Bugs me. I've got an email into Suunto on that one. Also, during surface intervals it doesn't really give you much information, other than to give an "attention" symbol if it thinks you need to extend your SI. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for, but maybe something like an indicator of how your pressure group is dropping while you're waiting.

I think I'm going for the wrist-mounted Cochran Commander or Gemini. From what I've read, and input from the LDS, it seem like a good choice for me. It can be upgraded as my diving expands and I get my Nitrox cert, and the way it calculates seems to be superior to the rest, what with extensive user-determined settings. ...N

The Datamax Pro+ is console-mounted, air integrated, and Nitrox capable (up to EAN50). The display is large and easy to read, with a backlight for night diving. The backlight is so bright that, when my primary light went out and then my backup went out, I could use the backlight to illuminate my way home. It has an ascent rate monitor, like most, and straightforward decompression displays (although I've never done decompression diving). The manual is straightforward and easy to read, and downloadable from the internet if you lose your copy. I find the Suunto manual to be frustratingly hard to read.

Unlike most of the computers I've seen (including the Suuntos), it displays nitrogen loading while on the surface.... I like to check the nitrogen bar graph during my surface interval. With the other computers you have to go into "plan mode" and check the NDL at a particular depth.

The VT Pro is basically the same computer, except it's wireless. The display is smaller (to fit on your wrist) and it has an automatic 3-minute count down timer that the Datamax Pro+ doesn't, but it's otherwise the same.

The Oceanic computers are less conservative than some (including the Suunto). I think it's because it uses a Haldane model, where the Suunto uses the more conservative RGBM algorithym.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom