When did you feel comfortable diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Comfortable from the first pool session. Buoyancy under control somewhere around 12 dives in. Buoyancy control automatic around 30-40 dives in. Comfortable leading dives about 45 dives in(first lead 40 dives in). Comfortable leading night dives 60-70 dives in.

Averting my first customer panic situation: 82 dives in. (customer had sinus squeeze at 15 meters and was going real wide-eyed on me, unsupervised dive lead with 4 customers).

My first summer diving consisted of 5 training dives and 10 local dives all in shallow, colder water (less than 30') and the minute I dove warm water later in the year (Bonaire) I was hooked. So dive #16 but I think it had a lot to do with the environment a d my mindset going in. Buoyancy was perfect, air consumption was better than more experienced divers, deep diving was easy, night dives were easy, boat dives were a breeze & beyond that it all seemed natural, no matter he situation.

My 1st dive with a buddy only was GREAT! It was what I’d wanted to do since I was 6 years old! I've always be comfortable in the water, even when things don't go so well.
The sky was overcast and foggy. We picked a local site in Newport to do a rock hop, Kings Beach, still a favorite for new divers.
The water was calm vis was about 10’ we swam to the large reefs. We surfaced at one of the reefs(large rock formations) to get a bearing on where we were, my nav skills still had not been developed at that time, I was only 16 years old, but this dive was going to teach me an important lesson. We looked around and except for the rock all we could see was gray fog. We could hear cars traveling on Ocean Drive but couldn’t tell what direction the shore was. I had bought a cheap compass that week and had been fooling with it in a lame attempt to learn how to nav. Well today was going to be a real world nav lesson, choose the correct course and we are home, choose wrong and it’ll be a along swim to the next, shore, Long Island, NY. I knew North was the right direction so I kept the N out front and began to follow the course. It seemed like a long time but it was only a few hundred yards to shore. We got there just as the fog started to break up. The whole time using the compass I was second guessing in my head, was I going the right way? I fought the urge to deviate from the course. We got back to shore fine and so began 43 years of diving. I learned that day to trust my gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom