When did you lose track?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, I gave up about mid 90's(10 yrs into diving)..........Really doesn't matter how many these days......

Still logging in paper logbook. I like to make drawings and notes, record exposure protection etc and for me computer logs are not that useful.

I would like to turn the question around a little and ask those that do log religiously what it is that they get out of it?

I ask that question with no negative connotations and on the contrary I often admire those divers clearly doing their 1000th dive who are still sitting post dive and religiously logging.

For my self I stopped after about 50 and at this point only keep track of the number of the dive. I found it was not really of any benefit to me. From a safety point of view my DC stores the last 25 dives I had and so in the case of an emergency the first responders would have that available to them. I found that I did not need a log to remember the awesome moments of my 427 odd dives, the scary moments, the oops moments and the wow moments. I did not feel that I needed a log to keep track of weighting and understood that it was comfort and experience that got me from needing 8 pounds with a steel backplate to 0 pounds with a aluminum backplate in a 3mm. It was experience and comfort that got me to from 35 minute dives to dives greater than an hour. I know that PADI hopes that by logging dives that diving will never be taken lightly and the dangers will be better understood and appreciated.

I guess it is up to individuals to decide what they get out of it and just how much they wish to log. I know that I have had some strange looks when I am asked if I log my dives and I reply no - as if not logging a dive makes me a bad diver that is flaunting the rules of diving.

Oops I just realized that knowing I have 427 dives means that I do log dives LOL

Craig

When did you lose track?
.....And if you no longer keep track, when did you give it up?

Chug
Should probably log dives.
For some reason.

Paper log still from day one. I'll never lose track--I have many routines....so I've been told.... I dive usually once weekly for 2 dives (same old places with the odd exception). So I don't have the numbers some of you have after 9 years. But I will hit 500 in the Spring, and will definately post that the turtle made it.

I did not log dives from my certification with LACUU in 1970 until my vacation from diving in 1980. I can only guess at the number of dives, probably about 200. I do not count these dives in my current total. I have logged all my dives since getting recertified by PADI in 1997 with my 12 year old son, 875. So what's my real total, I don't know, wish I would have logged my 1st decade of diving.

I still log as diligently as I can make myself do, because things like what the actual currents were compared to predictions, or how I weighted myself for a given configuration and water, can be important to reference later. I'm just not very compulsive about making sure that every single dive I do gets logged, and I don't know what the total is any more. After all, I'm in the ScubaBoard 1000 - 2499 bracket, and it's unlikely I'll EVER make it out of that -- so why count? :)

I lost track of dives in the late 1970's.... and lost my early logbooks. Sigh.

I only sporadically log dives these days, mostly to record gear data (changes in weighting for different gear configurations, to make a note about a regulator's performance after I've serviced it, etc.).

As a result, I really do not know my true total dive count. Any estimate at this point is a wild guess.

I really wish I had my original dive logs; I kept fairly complete records, especially of my early dives right after OW certification, dives in places other than Hawaii, early deco dives, I drew charts of dive sites, etc.

Those dusty old logs would be fun to read, sort of like a journal from long in the past.

Best wishes.

Sometime around 1970 or so.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom