When did you lose track?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still log as diligently as I can make myself do, because things like what the actual currents were compared to predictions, or how I weighted myself for a given configuration and water, can be important to reference later. I'm just not very compulsive about making sure that every single dive I do gets logged, and I don't know what the total is any more. After all, I'm in the ScubaBoard 1000 - 2499 bracket, and it's unlikely I'll EVER make it out of that -- so why count? :)

At least you made it to 4 digits--extremely unlikely for me.

The first 20 years I never logged anything, no need to. I began erratic logging in the 80's most of the time from memory days or weeks later. Now if it is a dive of some particular significance I may log it.

I kicked over about 5000 dives this spring, and up until that point, I kept a paper log... well just a Wetnotes book... Date, place, time, anything special.. and that was it. I've misplaced a few of them, including some I kept when I worked in the Caribbean, but it's fun looking thought them now and again....

This spring, I started to use a Shearwater computer which has a lovely log function. I am forcing myself to keep up my paper log, but I'm about 40 dives back already! I know from my real job that all things stored in 'pooters eventually get lost. So I intend to keep up my paper books!

And here's why...

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/481956-40-years-later.html

Quit logging at about 100 dives sometime in the early 90's. We can do a reasonable estimate, somewhere between 4 and 600. My wife does keep track of our weights which is really useful.

I logged religiously for the first 10 years or so, then hit and miss for the next 10 or so, the last 10 I have been more diligent but not religiously.
Except I log all my tec dives, it sure came in handy when it was time for the tec instructor course and as a newer cave diver I find the information about the dives and gear selection helpful.

Didn't log for my first 20 years of (uncertified) diving. When I finally got certified, my instructor recommended keeping a log-book. About that time I started trying to remember some of my earlier dives, with only marginal fidelity.
Who was the third diver with us the day we found that old anchor? Where was it I saw that turtle with part of his shell missing? etc. I don't remember. - Bummer.

Since then I've been conscientious and it's been fun to occasionally pick up an old log (paper only) and reminisce. Usually I log interesting critters or interactions. Sometimes just a few phrases bring back much of the dive.
For training dives I also logged students, goals, etc.

Interesting comments. I stopped logging dives the day after I was certified in June, 1972 when I was 15 years-old. But, what I have done is count my dives, darn accurately too for some reason. Each January, I'll start with a new-year wall calendar and keep a running tab on the number of dives made over those twelve months. I have 41 calendars packed into several waterproof boxes. This year's calendar is on the wall in my kitchen, and I'll update the entries every two weeks or so. I will write a comment every once in a while as to an especially deep dive, or some spectacular event that happens (see my profile photo), if I dived with some unique person, or whatever. The highest dive count was in 1979 when I worked on a dive boat in the Bahamas, 634 dives; the lowest, 97 dives, in 1986, when my first daughter was born. I passed 10,000 dives in November, 2011, and have around 10,360 dives total (with ~3250 in cenotes/caves, mostly along the Mayan coast).

Interesting comments. I stopped logging dives the day after I was certified in June, 1972 when I was 15 years-old. But, what I have done is count my dives, darn accurately too for some reason. Each January, I'll start with a new-year wall calendar and keep a running tab on the number of dives made over those twelve months. I have 41 calendars packed into several waterproof boxes. This year's calendar is on the wall in my kitchen, and I'll update the entries every two weeks or so. I will write a comment every once in a while as to an especially deep dive, or some spectacular event that happens (see my profile photo), if I dived with some unique person, or whatever. The highest dive count was in 1979 when I worked on a dive boat in the Bahamas, 634 dives; the lowest, 97 dives, in 1986, when my first daughter was born. I passed 10,000 dives in November, 2011, and have around 10,360 dives total (with ~3250 in cenotes/caves, mostly along the Mayan coast).

To me, this is logging. :)

I logged dives for a while when I started diving but lost interest as it was boring.

Years later, I started logging again when I took my OW class, and I did pretty well keeping up the log for a year or two, until it went down with a boat I was on one day.

When I got my computer, I started logging again. There is a need for it because I have been diving a number of different rigs and tanks. My memory is not up to keep all straight. I'll have to see how long this run goes on.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom