When is the best time of the year to dive in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MMM:
Low seasons are great if the dive op will go out without a half-full boat.

Ok, when is it low season in Cozumel? Can you dive in Low season? I mean I don't like crowds, and that's why I reticent on going to Cozumel again, is there a time when it is less crowded? are there any dive operators that give a more personalaized service? I haven't been to Cozumel in about 10 years.

thanks in advanced

pablovi:
Ok, when is it low season in Cozumel? Can you dive in Low season? I mean I don't like crowds, and that's why I reticent on going to Cozumel again, is there a time when it is less crowded? are there any dive operators that give a more personalaized service? I haven't been to Cozumel in about 10 years.

thanks in advanced

You can dive Cozumel year round; it's pretty much the same no matter when you go. If you want to see when things are less crowded, go to some of the big resorts' websites and look how the prices fluctuate. When the prices are lowest, that's when it's less crowded.

May is a bit of low season, being between the winter tourists ("snowbirds") time there and before school lets out in the States. After the summer is over but before winter (October-November) is also low season. Some consider everything but the winter as low season; there's no official rule.

As to dive operators, there are scads of good ops on Cozumel, and the types of service they offer is varied.

Mawg:
If you hate Coz so much, why do you come on this site. Or, is this just an aggie thing?

Careful Mawg, or I'll edit all the nastiness out of your post.

Now if this is going to truly be an educational thread, and NOT another infomercial, it would be useful to have a more in-depth review of the differences in diving conditions that occur in Cozumel throughout the year. Which there are. I haven't seen one posting about seasonal water temp. fluctuations, which is... silly. It may not cycle as much as adjacent regions in the same latitudes, but it does cycle enough to alter many divers' exposure suit wardrobe.

No mention of Spring Breakers filling up the hotels and restaurants in March. I know that's a dissuasion to many die-hard Cozumel visitors. One's in the office next door to me.

August marks the European holiday period, plus the peak of Caribbean hurricane season. Occasionally the Cozumel water temps. peaks in the low 90's, which some divers feel is... icky.

If you're paranoid about hurricanes upsetting your vacation plans, avoid July-September months. Even if the hurricane doesn't go anywhere near Cozumel, that might not be the case for your return destination; Florida in particular.

MMM touched on the winter northers, which don't reduce vis so much as one would think, but can make surface intervals on open boats moderately uncomfortable.

archman:
Now if this is going to truly be an educational thread, and NOT another infomercial, it would be useful to have a more in-depth review of the differences in diving conditions that occur in Cozumel throughout the year. ...

So are you guys going to start editing us for content? Who said it has to be educational? I had the impression that we were free to post whatever we want as long as it's free of acrimony and pertains to the subject matter of the forum - SCUBA and Cozumel. If we want to talk about how much we like diving Cozumel, then what's it to you?

All the considerations you mention are certainly valid, but by the same token, I would (and will) jump at an opportunity to dive Cozumel any time of the year.

Mawg - this guy is a moderator, not one of the recent crop of trollers.

archman:
Careful Mawg, or I'll edit all the nastiness out of your post.

Now if this is going to truly be an educational thread, and NOT another infomercial, it would be useful to have a more in-depth review of the differences in diving conditions that occur in Cozumel throughout the year. Which there are. I haven't seen one posting about seasonal water temp. fluctuations, which is... silly. It may not cycle as much as adjacent regions in the same latitudes, but it does cycle enough to alter many divers' exposure suit wardrobe.

No mention of Spring Breakers filling up the hotels and restaurants in March. I know that's a dissuasion to many die-hard Cozumel visitors. One's in the office next door to me.

August marks the European holiday period, plus the peak of Caribbean hurricane season. Occasionally the Cozumel water temps. peaks in the low 90's, which some divers feel is... icky.

If you're paranoid about hurricanes upsetting your vacation plans, avoid July-September months. Even if the hurricane doesn't go anywhere near Cozumel, that might not be the case for your return destination; Florida in particular.

MMM touched on the winter northers, which don't reduce vis so much as one would think, but can make surface intervals on open boats moderately uncomfortable.

La verdad es muy doloroso, si'.

ggunn:
So are you guys going to start editing us for content? Who said it has to be educational? I had the impression that we were free to post whatever we want as long as it's free of acrimony and pertains to the subject matter of the forum - SCUBA and Cozumel. If we want to talk about how much we like diving Cozumel, then what's it to you?

All the considerations you mention are certainly valid, but by the same token, I would (and will) jump at an opportunity to dive Cozumel any time of the year.

Mawg - this guy is a moderator, not one of the recent crop of trollers.

Gordon, no biggy, I've been thrown outa better places than this in East Austin.

ggunn:
Yes, one can post as much irrelevant stuff as one wants to on ScubaBoard. It is however, not only polite but useful to people actually interested to keep thread content on topic, and the topic should be properly labeled in its subject line to reflect the direction of thread conversation.

I, for one, was quite disappointed when I clicked on this thread and found almost no pertinent information, just a lot of high-fives. I was expecting to read useful information, and I have seen almost none as yet. I'm sure many other genuinely curious divers are also disappointed.

archman:
Yes, one can post as much irrelevant stuff as one wants to on ScubaBoard. It is however, not only polite but useful to people actually interested to keep thread content on topic, and the topic should be properly labeled in its subject line to reflect the direction of thread conversation.

I, for one, was quite disappointed when I clicked on this thread and found almost no pertinent information, just a lot of high-fives. I was expecting to read useful information, and I have seen almost none as yet. I'm sure many other genuinely curious divers are also disappointed.

The thing is, you are a moderator, and your voicing your disappointment comes from that standpoint. I, for one do not think it is appropriate for you to chide the rest of us on content.

Futhermore, I disagree that there was no useful information in my reply. The fact is that in my opinion there is no best time to dive Cozumel; it's good year round. There are some concessions to be made, as you say, to nortes and hurricanes, spring breakers and pod people, but they are minor considerations. In the main, it's always good.

And beyond that, your mini lecture on netiquette is more OT than anything the rest of us posted. You didn't properly label the topic in your post's subject line "to reflect the direction of thread conversation", either.

Look, I don't want to get into a thing, here. I just think that you should moderate what needs moderating and otherwise let it be.

Peace,

High season is officially US Thanksgiving week (3rd week of November) through May.

Traditional busiest weeks of the year, and those that fill up fast as far as hotels and dive ops are:
The week of Christmas/New Years
Carnaval (mid to late February)
Spring Break (usually 2nd, 3rd and 4th week of March)
Easter weekend and week (many Mexican nationals here that week)
Memorial day weekend (last weekend of May)
US Thanksgiving week (as stated above)

Between the end of May and late November, the crowds are much lower.

Water temps throughout the year are between 76 and 86F...something like this:

December - February: 76 - 78F/24 - 25.5 C
March -April: 78 - 80F/26 - 27 C
May - June: 80 - 82F/27 - 28C
July - Sept: 82 - 86F/27 - 30C
October - November: 80 - 82F/27 - 28C

Our average high water temp in 2005 was barely over 84 F/28C...although we did experience a very brief period in August where water temps were 85 to 86F/29 - 30C.

ggunn:
The thing is, you are a moderator, and your voicing your disappointment comes from that standpoint. I, for one do not think it is appropriate for you to chide the rest of us on content.
Yes. No. No.

Futhermore, I disagree that there was no useful information in my reply. The fact is that in my opinion there is no best time to dive Cozumel; it's good year round. There are some concessions to be made, as you say, to nortes and hurricanes, spring breakers and pod people, but they are minor considerations. In the main, it's always good.
Hmmm... where did I say there was "no useful information..." I see "almost none", and "almost no"... I guess I didn't say it, after all.:05:

Fact is, people have varying (and often strong) opinions as to what is/is not a "minor consideration" when diving in Cozumel. Users are free to post their opinion, they are also obliged to allow full permission for others to post their opinions, whether or no someone else *likes* them or not. That is fair.

And beyond that, your mini lecture on netiquette is more OT than anything the rest of us posted. You didn't properly label the topic in your post's subject line "to reflect the direction of thread conversation", either.
Yes, occasionally the "mini lecture" is often required to keep threads on track. Therefore, they're not off topic one bit. Lengthy discords complaining about this regularly used procedure certainly are, however. Specific board or user complaints should be directed in a PM, or via use of the "report post" button.

Regarding "subject lines", that refers to thread title, not post title. Thread titles are what show up on for public view on the main forum screens; they perform an indexing function for viewers. Post titles do not serve any significant indexing function. Thread titles are not always expected to reflect initial thread content, but they are certainly implied to.

I just think that you should moderate what needs moderating and otherwise let it be.
You may PM a moderator or report any post that you feel violates the TOS. Comprehensive thread moderation is almost always performed by 3rd party moderators. Moderators that post their own opinion postings are generally recused from moderator manipulation of other users' posts, unless they have permission from such users. Simply put, it eliminates personal bias.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom