When to buy tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to rent tanks when I first got certified. Then one day I was in my LDS and noticed 4 used AL80 tanks for sale. Inquired about them and found out they were the owners tanks. He wanted $80/tank and said he'd thrown in free lifetime air. I picked them up and got free air for quite a while until I moved. Wish he had a store local to me.

I think having tanks ready to go whenever you want is worth it. Renting tanks became a hassle after a while, IMO.

You buy your own tanks when your LDS's one-year free tank rental and free air runs out (usually a year after buying your equipment from them).

So far I own one AL80. I just bought all my gear new and maybe I'm weird, but I prefer to own my own stuff so I know how it's been taken care of for reliability reasons. Maybe not a huge concern with a tank, but either way it was only an extra $130 or so. Besides, I plan on diving more than 12 times per year for sure and want the flexibility to have some tanks on my boat ready in case I decide to jump in and check things out. Also, if I don't want to use my own tank (i.e. while traveling) I still have the rental option available. Guess it just opens up a few more doors if the moderate to minimal expense is not of concern to you.

okay dumb questions, how long is it "good" to keep air in the tanks?

I recently went diving with a friend locally and running around on a Friday evening wasnt a lot of fun trying to find two tanks!

Lots of god info in this thread, I think my wife is tired of me visiting the LDS...

okay dumb questions, how long is it "good" to keep air in the tanks?

I recently went diving with a friend locally and running around on a Friday evening wasnt a lot of fun trying to find two tanks!

Lots of god info in this thread, I think my wife is tired of me visiting the LDS...

If you have your own tanks, it probably means you have everything else as well. If that's the case, the gas shouldn't remain in the tanks long enough for you to worry!!!

yeah thats probably true....

The resale value of a cylinder is uniquely high. I recently sold one for about what I paid for it. After 10 years, a BC or wetsuit has almost zero value. A tank that age is quite sellable.

If the "true cost of ownership" includes residual value, tank ownership is quite economical.

Back
Top Bottom