When to take a drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KY is great. and water soluble.

Will DUI DOG days be in your area? If so, I seriously recommend going and trying one. I went a couple of weekends ago and I had a great experience and they really wanted those who were participating to walk away with exactly that. I explained that I was new to diving and that I had never really dove in cold water much less with a drysuit before. They were very hands on in making sure that I understood how the valves work and when to push air into my suit.

I'm still trying to maintain good buoyancy and did not experience any more difficulty with the drysuit.

Here's the link to the DUI DOG days schedule if you're interested.
DUI DOG Rally & Demo Days - Main Information Page

If the rally will not be in your area, I suggest also talking to your dive shop to see if they'll throw in the cert training when you buy your suit.

KY is great. and water soluble.

Just where do you use it and how much?

It's hard to imagine slathering it all over my neck seal and then pulling it over my head. If it really works, I can see myself at the drug store with several bottles/tubes(?) of the stuff trying not to look goofy.

TeamCasa,

Don't be bashful :) The folks in pharmacies see all sorts ... really !

You only need a little on the seal - personally I use more than necessary as I can wipe away any excess with my fingers (I have no shame in this regard :) ) The idea is to lubricate the seal so that the seals slide over your head or wrists easily without the latex being distorted.

At least you'll have a stylish hairstyle peeking from under the hoodie - think the hair gel scene from There's Something About Mary

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

I'll give it a try when my new suit arrives. :coffee:

I have been diving for 23 years and only 10 dive wet the rest dry where i live the water is cold Bay of Fundy ( for normal temp water is still use wet)and if you want to dive more than once a day you want to go dry so i baught one and jump in the water my first few dive were all shore dive practice getting air in and out once i was comfortable off to the boat dive. If you are comfortable with your boyancy and are not affraid to try it then fo for it if you have any dought in your mind then you are not ready to try it and should get a course. Just take your time and talk to people that have been diving dry for a few years and they will be as much help as any instructor on a course.

So what if you don't mind being a little cold in a wetsuit when you get out of the water? Would a dry suit be worth the cost and PITA if you wanted it just so you didn't have to worry about wet clothes after a dive by virtue of just taking off suit and stepping out in regular clothes (well plus necessary undergarments) that were dry? I don't mind the temperature issue in a wetsuit...it's just having to towel off and go through the trouble of layering clothes, and then those layered clothes being damp anyway after the first dive and not as effective, that drives me nuts.

Does anybody have any reasonable argument as to why I should not be using this on DS seals?

Because talc works fine.

When I took my drysuit class, there was an OW (not A OW just OW) student doing dry at the same time as OW and he did all of his exit dives in hi drysuit. He did well and was probably alot more comfortable than most OW students I have seen way up here in the North Atlantic area.

(notice I only stated a fact and didnt give my opinion about when to take it)

PLEASE LAUGH!!!

the other day I was in CVS to buy the CVS brand personal lube for use on my wrist seals. (it costs half the price of KY) and they had about 25 boxes of it on the shelf. i took it to the register to pay and guess what, the young kid at the register couldnt get the machine to read it ... and of course the line to the register was ridiculously long so all the people behind me are now wondering why i am holding up the line ... and the kid looks up at me and says "im sorry sir but apparently i cant sell this to you, the machine wont let me." im almost to the point of how i felt the first time i ever bought condoms ... and im waiting for the looks im going to get when i turn around to face the crowd .... so i lightly said to him, "what seems to be the problem?" and he suggested the expiration date may have passed or something ... and i mentioned that they had a whole shelf filled and thank you and good night and side stepped my way to the door and out ... WHEW!!!! ....

strange ... didnt realize personal lube had an expiration ... the kama sutra massage oils dont .... muhahahahah

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom