where do the Octopus and Computer go on Halcyon Pioneer BP/WINGS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme once bubbled...
It also allows a newbie more time to enjoy the dive instead of doing college Math 30000 on their head

I don't agree with this. From what I understand about 'air time remaining', it's based on your current breathing rate. If you're at 100 feet, how many 'minutes' do you need to ascend?

There isn't any 'math' you need to do in your head. You calculate out your turn pressure before you go in. If your ascending @1200 psi, then your ascending at 1200 psi.

Dxtreme once bubbled...
A brief audible and visual alarm remind you as you approach 15 feet. An automatic 3 minute timer counts down to zero.

The Air Time Remaining feature calculates current depth, tank pressure, your breathing rate, ascent time, and decompression status to tell you exactly how much time you can remain underwater.

automatically compensate for altitude up to 14,000 feet, giving adjusted no-decompression times and depths. They even automatically recalibrate the depth display for freshwater instead of seawater.

I am at 80 feet with 1400 PSI showing on the gauge. A quick glance at your nitrogen bar graph tells me i have plenty of no-decompression time remaining, but I still want to make my usual safety stop. The computer will show me Want to know how much bottom time I have left.

This is what i seek in a dive computer. Sure it might not be anybody's cup of tea.

You can find a location with map and compass but i prefer the built in lexus GPS nav system :)

same difference, as long as we both found the location, as long as we both dive safely while enjoying the dive

And then you jump in the water and your computer floods while you're down 100ft. With nothing to beep at you and count down for you, will you remember at what depth and for how long to stop after dozens of dives with the computer doing everything for you?

And letting the computer do air integration calculations for you all the time is just plain dangerous in my opinion. Math should be done by you prior to the dive. On some dives it will be simpler than on others - depending on the dive profile and complexity of the dive. But it's never really that bad.

Reliance on electronic gadgets all the time (dive computer, GPS in your airplane, etc.) instead of using your head will cause complacency. You don't want to become complacent when your life depends on it. Now, there is nothing wrong with having a computer, but you should be using it to cross-check and backup your own planning, not as a primary means of guidance.

My humble opinion only...

-Roman.

i am not advocating jumping straight into the water without any REAL pre planning with the dive tables. I never go dive without that plastic table from Padi and a pencil and paper.

Simply, given a choice of analog spg, non AI computer and Ai computer, i *personally prefer the AI computer due to its functionality and all those extra info that helps me relax and enjoy my dive more.

I prefer an air integrated computer because it provides all of the relevant information in an easy to read format. Rather than looking at individual SPG, depth gauge, and bottom timer, I can look at the Cobra and get all of the details, thus reducing task loading. A computer is not a good substitute for training and planning. It shouldn’t be a shortcut. In fact, if used correctly a computer requires more knowledge than a traditional SPG, depth gauge, and bottom timer, because you need to understand how the computer works and how to configure it.

IMO relying on computer calculated remaining air time calculations is no more dangerous than diving with an SPG and the only plan being to be back on the boat with 500 psi. Yet that appears to be commonly taught and practiced. I wouldn’t do either. In any case, you should have a dive plan that budgets both gas and NDL with turn points (if appropriate) and ascent points for both. With that being said, I think that the estimated air time is useful tool for determining the optimal depth (where remaining air time equals remaining NDL time) on a multilevel dive such as a wreck.

Also in my opinion, allowing the computer to calculate remaining NDL time is inherently safer than calculating it your self, especially on a multilevel dive, since it reduces the possibility of human error.

Mike

So much for my plan to go to the pool and test out the Halcyon and my new gear setup this friday ! ;-0

was riding my bike yesterday and hit a muddy patch on the road. got thrown out nearly 15 feet on a corner.

Now i got 1 bad road rash on my shoulder, 1 on my forearms near the elbow, one on my knuckle, 2 big skins came off both knees, swollen left skull and a bad aching right shoulder up to the neck (thank god i didnt break my neck although it was hurting bad).

my octo holder, retractors ... etc (everything i need for the BC)
will arrive possibly on thur or wed and now all i can do is stare at all my new equipments without the ability to dive them.

I can tolarate my physical pain but THIS IS TORTURE !!!!!! ;-0

Hopefully i heal faster so i can go dive and make a report on the BP/Wings soon

Back
Top Bottom