Where do you put your keys?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where do you put your _____ while diving? (I thought the previous 47 threads had this resolved)

Why bother anyway ? YouTube - trunk monkey

In my defense, I put the subject in and clicked the "Has this been asked before" and did not see anything asking my question.

I forgot all about the trunk monkey! Those commercials are awesome!

I have a key pad I added. It just sticks on the outside and works like a key fob, just enter your code in place of pushing the button, I think I paid like $30 for it on ebay. if I have a rental car I zip tie the key to a D ring

Inside my drysuit

Yup, me too. Unless you're carrying the key.

How do you program the key yourself?

To program them yourself on a Ford, you basically have to insert your other 2 keys into the ignition first and turn each on to on then off (not start), then insert your new key. The precise procedure is in the manual. I belive it is similar for other cars.

Remember, you are not really programming the key, but the car ignition is reading the chips RFD tag numbers which are unique. When the car computer reads 2 different and valid keys within 30 seconds, it then reads the new key and adds its number to the valid key list in the cars computer.

They intentionally make sure you have 2 valid keys first to protect you from a valet or someone else making unauthorized copies. It is actually a good system, just expensive if you loose a key and don't have 2 spares.

In my defense, I put the subject in and clicked the "Has this been asked before" and did not see anything asking my question.

I forgot all about the trunk monkey! Those commercials are awesome!

Trunk Monkey :bigmonkey: sez:

-Hang a non-chipped key around your neck on a string
-Money, Driver's Licenses and Credit Cards are waterproof

Last edited:
Nice shot of you loading your VLP (very low pressure) 40 cylinder into your car.

:)

Yeah, it's actually a medieval diving helmet... :)

R..
p.s. In case it wasn't obvious. It's not me in the picture.

The key fob for my vehicle (a Land Rover LR3) is supposedly waterproof to 75ft and can withstand a 30ft drop onto concrete. But I've never been brave enough to test either one of these claims. I usually leave my keys on the dive boat in a small backpack.

everything exept the keys stays in the car

the keys go on a weight pouch i got from DiveRite which attaches to the top tank strap on my STA

I use an old dive light. Remove the batteries and insert keys. Clip onto your BC and you're set. You may have to add a small of piece of lead to keep it negatively buoyant.

I had a non chip key made that I clip to my BCD. Only time I use it, is to open the back to put my gear up after my dive. All other important stuff gets locked in the car out of site.

Back
Top Bottom