Where/how should I tether my console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess we can go on about this, but I don't think there's much difference which side. I used to clip it on the left but it seemed less streamlined. Then there are the retractors and so on. Whatever.

For me its retractor hanging from left bc strap end.for me its just simplicity to climb in the bc then clip off the console to the strap already in my hand.
Having just done a gear swap exersize I can say I'd be reluctant to suggest right tether. Just one more thing to flop around or get in the way if you forget to unhook it.
-but in fairness-How often do you plan to remove your gear during a dive?

I have a console with a SPG, dive computer and compass. I've attached a short lanyard (about 4 or 5 inches long) near the base of the console with a spring clip on the free end. Normally I attach the clip to the D-ring on my right BCD shoulder strap and this positions the console within easy reach and good visibility. It has occurred to me that in this setup the clip is one more left-to-right closure of my BCD in addition to the cummerbund, cummerbund clip and chest clip that I'd have to undo (calmly) if I ever need to remove my BCD underwater.

Last night I tried clipping the lanyard to my left shoulder strap and this didn't work out as well in terms of being able to locate and position the console.

Is there something obvious I'm missing? I see people with retractors but IIRC they're still attached to the right side of their BCD.

Just so you know, DSS makes cheap rubber boots that you can use to bungee-mount you compass and computer on your wrists, and reduce the console to an SPG, which is so much more comfortable. If your console is like mine once was, you can achieve that with just a screwdriver, some hot water, and a pair of pliers. Just because you already invested in the console, it does not mean you have to suffer...

I use a single end bolt snap that has a broad hook on the other end. I clip the bolt snap end to the console and hook the other end to my right chest D-ring. That way I don't have to operate a bolt snap. I just unhook it when I want a close (or in my case further away look, I'm older and don't see close up as well as I used to :D). I used to just tuck the console under my right shoulder strap to keep it from dangling, then I came across the bolt snap and hook combo. I also prefer my compass on my wrist in a bungee boot. I actually size the bungees so I can wear it on the back of my left hand. It's very easy to hold level in that configuration. YMMV

I still have a console that I do use a few times a year. I have had the console mounted on the left HP port and bolt snapped to my left hip D ring, to my left chest D ring, and to my crotch strap D ring. I've had it mounted on the right HP port and attached it to my right side D rings. I even tucked it through the BC shoulder straps underneath my armpits.

Put the console where it's convenient to you. If you can't remove your BC because you have the console attached across your chest then you have bigger problem than where to attach the console.

I even cut a fishing line or two while in low viz/high surge conditions before. Never once the position of the console had anything to do with it.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 01:31 AM ----------

I actually size the bungees so I can wear it on the back of my left hand. It's very easy to hold level in that configuration. YMMV
And here I thought that I was the only one who wears the compass on the back of the left hand.

Yeah, because so far, I've been hung up approximately zero times. That's only approximate. The actual number might be as high as zero.

Being clipped to my left hip and my right shoulder or my right hip or my crotch strap won't really have any significant affect on my ability to cut the net/line/grasping mermaid.

Fair enough... it certainly depends on the diving you do. Most of my diving involves an oil rig frequented by fisherman, and a pissed off fish trying to wrap me around a rig leg. If you're a "sight-see-er", it probably will never matter.

Fair enough... it certainly depends on the diving you do. Most of my diving involves an oil rig frequented by fisherman, and a pissed off fish trying to wrap me around a rig leg. If you're a "sight-see-er", it probably will never matter.

I also do oil rig diving. We have a few of those in the Southern California coasts. Yes, there are workers who fish at the oil rig and fishing lines abound. I have yet to experience where I attach my console to as an issue when it comes to cutting these fishing lines.

I can't say I've experienced a tangle every dive... but I have had to, on three occasions, completely remove my BC to untangle myself. I just prefer a streamlined setup anyway. To each their own. :wink1:

I can't say I've experienced a tangle every dive... but I have had to, on three occasions, completely remove my BC to untangle myself. I just prefer a streamlined setup anyway. To each their own. :wink1:

Having the console clipped off makes your setup streamlined. Having it clipped to a particular place makes it YOUR preferred streamlined setup. Nothing more.
You don't really think one additional clip makes any significant difference in removing your BC do you?

I usually try to spot the fishing lines before I get entangled into it. But then that's me and I'm sure that the California water is like tropical water when it comes to visibility...while Gulf Coast water is like mud diving.

I too prefer a streamlined setup: air integrated hoseless dive computer. One less hose to strap off to anywhere on the body.

---------- Post added September 23rd, 2014 at 02:26 PM ----------

Having the console clipped off makes your setup streamlined. Having it clipped to a particular place makes it YOUR preferred streamlined setup. Nothing more.
You don't really think one additional clip makes any significant difference in removing your BC do you?

If anything attaching the console across the chest is even more "streamlined". It literally hugs your body instead of hanging off the side.

Back
Top Bottom