Where/how should I tether my console?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't wear a weight belt, no pouches, no buckles on my fins, no knife. I do carry a line cutter tucked in my glove, and another on my shoulder strap. My SPG is the ONLY thing that is clipped. If the current is strong and the wave height is more than 3-5's, I will clip an SMB on my plate above my butt.

You don't really think one additional clip makes any significant difference in removing your BC do you?

If it did, we'd all be wearing a version of the Zeagle Zena, because mine simply unzips in the front. :D Or you can un-clip the shoulders and sides, pull the whole front off, and slide out the side.
But it doesn't really make a big difference.

For me its retractor hanging from left bc strap end.for me its just simplicity to climb in the bc then clip off the console to the strap already in my hand.
Having just done a gear swap exersize I can say I'd be reluctant to suggest right tether. Just one more thing to flop around or get in the way if you forget to unhook it.
-but in fairness-How often do you plan to remove your gear during a dive?
Right. I've removed my unit maybe twice so far in 9 years and did the gear swap twice in DM course.

With random rental BCDs, I've been shown by two different instructors in two different places to just tuck the console inside the BCD: either under the cumberbund or front straps, or else through the left armhole. This seems to work great, so I was surprised to see only one mention (of someone else doing this) in this entire thread. Is there a reason not to do things this way?

With random rental BCDs, I've been shown by two different instructors in two different places to just tuck the console inside the BCD: either under the cumberbund or front straps, or else through the left armhole. This seems to work great, so I was surprised to see only one mention (of someone else doing this) in this entire thread. Is there a reason not to do things this way?
Do whatever works for you and your type diving.The more advanced your dives become the more thought you have to put into the little things like where and how to clip console. I just stick mine in my bc pocket but I am not a technical diver nor do I do long deep dives.

My instructor also told me about tucking the console into the BC. Placement and attachment of tools, stc. is one of those numerous little things that I'll work on in future dives

You also may consider a different type of clip. When I read "spring clip" I think of the carabiner type like this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412232102.651153.jpg

I had a rental rig that had one once and it did actually get entangled with some fishing line just by clipping itself on. No big deal at the time I just cut it off, but I don't like the idea of it opening on its own.

Of course if the OP is not using this type of clip please ignore me. :wink:.

ps. I clip my spg off to my left chest ring so I can just look down and see it without having to unclip. Sometimes left hip depending on the gear I have with me.

I'm not where I can quickly look at my lanyard but I'm pretty sure it looks like this:

1195-DEFAULT-s.jpg
So you're right, fishing line or something could just insert itself into the spring clip. I'll keep that in mind. I've dived wrecks in NC but they looked like they were kept pretty clean of monofilament.

Ya I'd replace that. Hate to have it hook off to something more major than monofilament.

I have heard them referred to as "suicide clips" not sure I buy completely into that drama. But at least it is an easy fix. Tie a snap bolt to your console with cave line instead and call it good.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom