Where to attach octo on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kazinvan:
I plan to put my dive light on my right d-ring so I don't think I want the octo there as well (I don't have a canister yet). I may add another d-ring as suggested lower on my right side.

Reconfiguring my gear seems to be the biggest chanllenge so far. The streamlined harness gives me fewer attachment points and there are less spots to stash gear. The jacket I was using before had huge pockets and all kinds of plastic clips and rings on it. I know that is what I'm trying to move away from, but it's not easy finding a spot for all the various bits.
Well, I've had a backup light, canister light head , regulator and a camera all clipped on to that ring, so I don't see your problem.

You might want to try it in the water first before trying to solve the problem on your keyboard.

kazinvan:
I plan to put my dive light on my right d-ring so I don't think I want the octo there as well (I don't have a canister yet). I may add another d-ring as suggested lower on my right side.

Reconfiguring my gear seems to be the biggest chanllenge so far. The streamlined harness gives me fewer attachment points and there are less spots to stash gear. The jacket I was using before had huge pockets and all kinds of plastic clips and rings on it. I know that is what I'm trying to move away from, but it's not easy finding a spot for all the various bits.

What kind of stuff are you trying to attach?

JeffG:
Well, I've had a backup light, canister light head , regulator and a camera all clipped on to that ring, so I don't see your problem.

I was just worried that the octo could get tangled in the cable that attached the light to the d-ring. If my buddy is at the point where he needs my octo, I didn't want him to fumble around with my other gear trying to figure how to get it. I suppose the light and octo could be there together, I can give it a try.

JeffG:
You might want to try it in the water first before trying to solve the problem on your keyboard.

That is probably a good point, which is what I plan to do tomorrow, but I was hoping for a few ideas before I actually get in the water as I'm sure others have solved this probelm in the past.

kazinvan:
I was just worried that the octo could get tangled in the cable that attached the light to the d-ring. If my buddy is at the point where he needs my octo, I didn't want him to fumble around with my other gear trying to figure how to get it. I suppose the light and octo could be there together, I can give it a try.

That is probably a good point, which is what I plan to do tomorrow, but I was hoping for a few ideas before I actually get in the water as I'm sure others have solved this probelm in the past.
Or put your light on the left, octo on the right.

kazinvan:
Why do you have a cable attaching anything? Tie a bolt snap directly to your light.. no reason for any cables or slack or anything.

boomx5:
What kind of stuff are you trying to attach?

Primary light (light cannon)
Backup light (mini Q40)
Octo
Whistle
Safety Sausage
Backup bottom timer (Timex Helix DM)
Line cutter

jonnythan:
Why do you have a cable attaching anything? Tie a bolt snap directly to your light.. no reason for any cables or slack or anything.

Ok, I can do that, do I just hold the light when in use or still have a lanyard on it? I'm assuming I have a way to retain my light in case I need to let it go?

Hiya Mike

I'll have my octo on a necklace so you can see how that looks/works.

I find its better there as its in direct line of sight for a possibly panicked buddy whos first idea is to take the one i have in my mouth. either way, they're both at hand.

Si

ScubaDadMiami:
Get pockets added to your suit. Put stuff in there.

Great idea, once I buy my own suit I'll do that. I'm still buying all of my gear, but can't afford to spend that much all at once. Suit will come in a few months.

Back
Top Bottom