Where to attach octo on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lil' Irish Temper:
Gee, and some of the DIR guys wonder why people steer clear of them.
I regularly dive with DIR buddies, non-DIR buddies, anti-DIR buddies, almost-but-just-needs-the-fundies-class-DIR buddies, and "what is DIR?" buddies.

I can unequivocally say that, with no doubt whatsoever, diving with GUE trained DIR buddies is far and away more enjoyable than any other diving, period. The comfort and confidence I get being underwater with someone on the exact same page as you on gear, procedures, and mindset is unbelievable.

jonnythan:
I can unequivocally say that, with no doubt whatsoever, diving with GUE trained DIR buddies is far and away more enjoyable than any other diving, period.
That's fantastic Jonnythan, but I'm not sure what your choice of dive buddies has to do with where to put an octo on a hog harness.

MSilvia:
That's fantastic Jonnythan, but I'm not sure what your feelings about diving DIR have to do with the thread.
The same thing as Art's, Jeff's and Boomx5's.. it's a tangent, and sometimes they occur :wink:

Thanks for all of the tips guys, very helpful. Part of the problem is that I'm still renting a drysuit, regs, and tanks. Next on my shopping list is a drysuit (with pockets). Right now, I need to make do with short hoses and a BP/W so for the next few months that is the setup I'll be diving with. As scubadobadoo suggested, once you start down the tech path you will likely convert a lot of gear to that config. I really like the concept of the long hose, and when I get my own regs that is very likely the setup I will have. In the meantime I'm just trying to get everything set up so it's functional and available. Once I have big drysuit pockets, that will solve some of my gear stashing problems. Also, once I have a long hose/necklace that will solve my octo location problem. I'm just trying to get feedback from the pros who have tried it all :)

Ditto the last coupla posts...

This started as a nice informative thread that I for one was finding interesting and useful.

Please dont lets get all DIR -v- non DIR!

The DIR contingent have some very useful points which the rest of us can use our personal judgement and take or leave dependant on our individual level and style of diving.

Non DIR have useful points also, especialy as we will be diving most likely with non-DIR and so we dont necessarily want or expect our buddies to be configured radically different to ourselves.

End of subject?

I personaly use a surgical tube necklace to stow my octo. It hasnt fallen out of its own accord yet but I see the point and yes it is a trick to get it back in again. My point tho is if you're deploying it for real, why do you need to re-stow it?

Si

I'm not bashing -I'm taking DIR-F in July

To me it was like saying DIR is the only right way to do it, no other way about.

I'm not going to be a "true" DIR guy, I believe in whatever works, let em do it their way.

But I do belive in some of the stuff DIR teaches, not all of it, but some.

Maybe I just took the comment wrong.

It didn't offend me but you asked that he was stating his personal opinion about he and his buddy's own style of diving.

But the guy was asking how to hang his octo, not someone else's style of diving.

I dunno about offended, but the original poster was asking for assistance in arranging his gear, not snide remarks unrelated to the topic at hand, which is what he's starting to get..........

So far, Spectre's reply is the most USEFUL Pro-DIR gear config answer I've seen - it quite simply explains why there's not much point in "reniventing the wheel", but lacks any of the arrogance that seems to run so inherent anytime the word "DIR" appears.

Lil' Irish Temper:
To me it was like saying DIR is the only right way to do it, no other way about.
Nobody said that, you just percieved it. But I will take a big guess and state after all the convolutions that the rig goes through, he will end up with some type of hog rig. Its a lot easier starting with one, than inventing one. (Hence Arts comment and my agreement)

Lil' Irish Temper:
I'm not going to be a "true" DIR guy, I believe in whatever works, let em do it their way.
If it worked...thats the key phrase here. The jury is still out on that one :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom