Where to attach octo on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon L:
Hiya Mike

I'll have my octo on a necklace so you can see how that looks/works.

I find its better there as its in direct line of sight for a possibly panicked buddy whos first idea is to take the one i have in my mouth. either way, they're both at hand.

Si

Sounds good Simon :) I'll check out your rig when we go for a dive tomorrow. I'm just trying to figure out all the details before that so I don' have to spend a lot of time when we are ready to get in the water.

X-Shorts

kazinvan:
Sounds good Simon :) I'll check out your rig when we go for a dive tomorrow. I'm just trying to figure out all the details before that so I don' have to spend a lot of time when we are ready to get in the water.

I think there'll be a fair amount of faf and fettle when we're getting ready!!! :D

Do a search in the Hogarthian section for me or "octo on neck" and you will fing a lengthy discussion on using a regular octo around your neck without the long house. Some very good points for and mostly against that are all worth reading. I am still struggling with this thought as well.

The problem is that a modern BP/W was really designed to be used with "kool aid" or in a more "Hogarthian" fashion if ya know what I mean. SO mixing it with milk and coke can work if you are comfortable drinking all of these drinks together. They are all certainly great drinks. My point is that once you start down the path of using tech type gear, you find that more of your gear starts down the same path. In other words, If you are driving a Truck and put Corvette wheels on it to go faster, then you will probably change the body later as well to the body of a Corvette so the whole thing can go even faster and work better as a unit. Ofcourse, personal preference may dictate that one loves Corvette wheels on a truck and that's cool too.

I currently use a regular octo attached to my right d ring on my BP/W and it has been funcional but I am still not completely happy with it after one season with my BP/W that I LOVE BTW...we shall see what I end up with in a few years...Just thinking out loud and not pointing anyone towards any style of diving...EBAY is a wonderful thing...anyone wanna buy rubber straps for Jet Fins and Quattros? LOL.

I'm not recommending it in any way; but... There are two ways to do necklaces. You can actually zip tie the bungie onto the mouthpiece, or you can have a bungie loop that the mouthpiece inserts into... thus making it possible to pull the reg from the necklace. I don't like that method because it is difficult to restow and there is a chance that it comes loose during a dive; but it's not really worse then having the octo anywhere else, it puts it in the "triangle", and it's a step in the right direction.

When I first went to a BP/Wing, I tried a number of different things. I also dove a pony bottle. The mounting system I had to mount it upside down on my back [so I could reach the valve] flopped too much when I went to the BP because of the location of the straps. The options I had left was to mount right side up [and sacrifice reaching the valve], buy a new mounting system to mount it to the tank [making tank switches more annoying], or stage rig it. So I chose the latter.

Once I stage rigged it, I didn't like the valve and reg on the same d-ring as my octo scumball. I had been drawing the octo across my body like that to keep the hose a little tighter to my body. By putting it on my right d-ring, the hose looped out too far to my liking. The two remaining options I had was shorten the hose, or lengthen it... to 7 feet... and use it primarily.

What's the point I'm trying to make? As I fiddled with the things I didn't like in my setup, the reasons for some of the principles that are out there started coming much more clear. I found myself often trying to come up with a solution where there was already a concept out there that would work; and I decided that it was as good, or better, than any solution I came up with myself.

So you may find a place to put your octo; but it might have flaws that going another direction [in this case, long hose & bungied backup] may start to make sense as a viable option.

artw:
reading this thread just reconfirms to me the fact that every time I go diving I thank God I discovered the Dark Side and that me and my buddies use the same config...
Yep...makes life a whole lot easier.

artw:
reading this thread just reconfirms to me the fact that every time I go diving I thank God I discovered the Dark Side and that me and my buddies use the same config...

Gee, and some of the DIR guys wonder why people steer clear of them.

kazinvan:
Ok, I can do that, do I just hold the light when in use or still have a lanyard on it? I'm assuming I have a way to retain my light in case I need to let it go?
Yeah, just hold it while it's in use. If you aren't using it, clip it back on a ring. I no longer have any lanyards on anything, and haven't had any problems as a result. It goes a long way toward tidying up your gear.

Also, if you have a crotch strap, that gives you another ring (or two if you aren't scootering) to attach things to.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom