Where to attach octo on BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FreeFloat:
Spectre's reply is the most USEFUL Pro-DIR gear config answer I've seen - it quite simply explains why there's not much point in "reniventing the wheel", but lacks any of the arrogance that seems to run so inherent anytime the word "DIR" appears.

Hey! I didn't say anything about DIR :wink:

What I also was trying to convey is understanding and learning the -why- behind different configurations. If you truely understand the reasons behind something, and can [honestly] convince yourself that you can reinvent it better... then by all means; have at it.

I much prefer the person doing it their way, then those that don't know why they do something the way they do it. The former can either learn from your experience, or you can learn from their experience. The latter.... well... the term 'poser' comes to mind.

Spectre:
Hey! I didn't say anything about DIR :wink:
Pro-Hogarthian, then. :) :wink:

Kazinvan, I used to have exactly the same problem as you - my first 14 dives were done with my own backplate and wing (although, I had my own wetsuit too) but rented regs.

My solution, was to attach a "snorkel keeper" (silicone dogbone shape) to the right shoulder D ring, and hang the octo from that. Sure, the hose stuck out a little, but it was still way better than where it had hung when I was diving a jacket BC.

Also keep in mind that the height of the D rings needs to be adjusted to where you're comfortable with it - if you can't reach things that are clipped off, move the D ring! (or better yet, have another plate-wearer assist you)

Front view
Side view

kazinvan:
Thanks for all of the tips guys, very helpful. Part of the problem is that I'm still renting a drysuit, regs, and tanks. Next on my shopping list is a drysuit (with pockets). Right now, I need to make do with short hoses and a BP/W so for the next few months that is the setup I'll be diving with. As scubadobadoo suggested, once you start down the tech path you will likely convert a lot of gear to that config. I really like the concept of the long hose, and when I get my own regs that is very likely the setup I will have. In the meantime I'm just trying to get everything set up so it's functional and available. Once I have big drysuit pockets, that will solve some of my gear stashing problems. Also, once I have a long hose/necklace that will solve my octo location problem. I'm just trying to get feedback from the pros who have tried it all :)

If you're comfortable with donating your primary and switching to your backup, shock cord or surgical tubing is relatively cheap. And if you rig it correctly, as Spectre mentions, you can pop it on/off of the rental mouthpiece. It's available at REI, GI Joes, and local hardware shops. At least this will get you thru until you get your own reg set-up. The Q40 can be clipped off with a bolt snap to the harness and secured on it with bicycle tubing. SMB can be clipped off to the butt D-ring and placed on the BP. Your line cutter can be placed on the waist strap. Your guages can go on the wrist. Your Primary light can be bolt snapped/clipped off when not in use. This is of course are all techniques to get you by in the interim or in the long run if others prefer to call it personal perference.

In the end, after all the money and fiddling around, trials/errors, all roads lead to the dark side if you are pursuing elegance and excellence. Sorry, my opinion. OK, no more plugs for DIR! :D

Sincerely,
Harry

HarryH97:
If you're comfortable with donating your primary and switching to your backup, shock cord or surgical tubing is relatively cheap. And if you rig it correctly, as Spectre mentions, you can pop it on/off of the rental mouthpiece.

Yea; depending on hose lengths [don't even remember what standard lengths are anymore] either way would work... if they go after the one in your mouth you have the backup. If they go after the backup it'll pop right out.

I am currently using a bungeed backup, but with the primary routed under my right arm on a 40" hose (instead of the 7' long hose). A VERY nice system for garden variety single tank dives, IMO.

Spectre:
Yea; depending on hose lengths [don't even remember what standard lengths are anymore] either way would work... if they go after the one in your mouth you have the backup. If they go after the backup it'll pop right out.

I hope that's motivation enough to get your own regs and dive with ""trained"" divers. :wink:

Harry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom