Where to dive now that I am poor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poor people don't dive in any of the places you mentioned. The only diving poor people do is scraping the barnacles off the boats of rich people.

OK, OK, I can, actually, lighten up. But watch it with those loaded words, word-man!

This was what I was expecting. I'm still in college so my dive trips consist of hitting up lakes around me. I wouldn't consider poor diving still contemplating where I'd like to travel to dive, I'd love to be able to do that!

I( wouldn't be so quick to write Coz off. Though air fare is higher, all other costs are less than most other destinations.

What he said, the cost of diving Florida is twice that of Coz. If I were to dive Florida I would dive Jupiter over the Keys.. IMO much better diving .

Bruce

Diving in Jupiter is a blast. I never get tired of it. If you're looking for a bargain, Jupiter Dive Center has a deal that if you purchase 5 dives you get the sixth one free. I take them up a LOT on that!!! The reefs are beautiful, the fish and pelagics plentiful, and it's always fun. Great people on the boat. Never hard to find someone to buddy up with as everyone is friendly and a divemaster is always in the water. Lots of nightlife around for when the day is done and you want to kick back and relax.

bowling is pretty cheap

I have to second the Mermaid on this one. Jupiter Dive Center and that section of SF does offer some great dives. I got Nitrox certed there (70 - 95 ft all dives) and was amazed at always seeing paleagics when descending. Motorcycle sized Goliath groupers barking at you when you're in their territory is quite an experience too. Drift diving is just cool by itself too. Boat trips can add up in cost, though.

I have settled upon Ft Lauderdale, LBTS and Hollywood beach as the ultimate cheap dive experience, in my book, because shore diving a few hundred feet out and you've got nice, warm, clear water with mini-ledges with many of the reef fish of the Keys. You gotta go in summer though, to ensure calm conditions with best vis. Its a bit of work, but no boat fee and no boat schedule is real nice - get to sleep in, go at your own pace, and then chase some puffer fish.

Anyone know any tricks on getting cheap airfares?

Dude....How POOR is poor?
You could drive down to Tampa, catch a Carnival cruise for $599.00 for a seven day Western Caribbean and dive Grand Cayman, Coz, Belize and Roatan on a single trip.
I live in Maryland and that was a serious consideration for my last trip and will probably be my next trip and I'm as poor as a diver can be.
For what it cost for lodging in Coz, you can take the cruise, eat great meals and get to dive 4 great dive spots.

You have to admit, it sure does sound sweet to hop on a boat...chill for the day, have a few nice meals, maybe a movie or lay out on deck, drink in hand, admiring the beauty of the sea, go to sleep, wake up, have breakfast while the boat docks,hop off, go do between 2-4 dives, go back to the boat, have dinner, being exhausted from the great diving, you'll drag your butt to yout cabin, crash hard, wake up and do it all again in a place equally as nice, then again the next day and the next.
Then spend the last day relaxing and cruising back to tampa.

Man, does it get much better than that....on a budget?

Ok, ok, ok, beatings officially accepted. Perhaps I took the wrong tack trying to lay a predicate for my question.

And I didn’t mean to imply that I wanted a drinking trip, but one can buy a dollar beer at sidewalk spot in coz and kill two hours pleasantly watching the crowd and talking with the other like minded folk.

So let me try again. I went for years and years without taking a vacation—a vacation was taking Friday off so I had a three day weekend to pressure clean the house. Wasting money to go to the Caribbean was inconceivable. I had given up scuba diving 20 years ago when I left south Florida.

Three years ago, I met my wife and she converted me—first to taking vacation and then to scuba diving again. I became an addict. She also convinced me to stop letting my vacation days lapse—2008 will be the first time in my life I have taken all my vacation days (I hope). But because I have been a steady eddy and she has been a job hopper I have a lot more vacation than she does so some of my trips have been solo.

That is the crux of my question.

Cozumel seems to work out well solo. Live aboards, as someone mentioned are good for going solo (but a bit pricy).

I was really just trying figure out whether a solo dive trip to south Florida would work and do you think the savings on airfare would get eaten up by other expenses.

Or are there any other places I am overlooking for the same kind of experience, Utila comes to mind as an example.

Back
Top Bottom