Where to dive with turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mom2twinz99

Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are taking a trip in mid-late October for our anniversary. We are both new to diving (certified last fall) and want to make this trip a dive trip. I am, and have always been, fascinated with sea turtles and would *love* to see them on a dive. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great dive where this would be possible? We want to stay in the Carribbean, Mexico or Florida region, and while diving is important to us, so are accomodations! I need comfort and amentities! No roughing it for this girl!

Thanks in advance,
Amber

I see turtles on almost every dive in Grand Cayman, small ones on the west side and bigger ones on the North Wall. I've also seen a lot of them diving in Maui. But, I'd say Grand Cayman is your best bet.

Might I suggest Cozumel or Isla Mujeres. Saw many turtles (apparently mating season) in compromising positions on Punta Sur, Isla Mujeres last month. AWESOME!

mom2twinz99:
My husband and I are taking a trip in mid-late October for our anniversary. We are both new to diving (certified last fall) and want to make this trip a dive trip. I am, and have always been, fascinated with sea turtles and would *love* to see them on a dive. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great dive where this would be possible? We want to stay in the Carribbean, Mexico or Florida region, and while diving is important to us, so are accomodations! I need comfort and amentities! No roughing it for this girl!

Thanks in advance,
Amber

If you're limiting yourself to the Caribbean area you'll miss "turtle city". Sipadan, Malaysia has so many fricken' turtles that you have to push them out of the way to see other things. The dive shops gather the eggs and incubate them there and release upon hatching. If you ask me the resorts should start including turtle soup on their menus. They eat sponges, sit on coral heads....way more damage to the reef than all the divers.

Aloha! If you want to see giant green sea turtles, you should come to Maui! I see turtles almost every time I hit the water here. I usually go twenty five dives in a row before we don't see one! It's awesome and they are so mellow. If you come this way, I can steer you in the right direction to find them. Good Luck!

Aloha,

Shaka Doug

Don't the Tigger Sharks feed off Turtle's??? May wont to keep an eye out, when you see to many Turtles, especially in Hawaii.

Aloha
If you want to see loads of Green Sea Turtles, and a few Hawksbills, I would reccomend Oahu. We even have Turtles on our wreck dives. The Turtles have been protected for so long that they have no fear of divers, we just become part of the marine enviroment.
Turtleguy

We have always seen multiple turtles on each dive at Turtle Reef on Grand Cayman - right next door to the Turtle Farm. No need to "rough it" on Grand Cayman either.

Have a great trip, wherever you go!

ShakaZulu:
Don't the Tigger Sharks feed off Turtle's??? May wont to keep an eye out, when you see to many Turtles, especially in Hawaii.

Who's the babe in the picture under your name ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom