Where to dive with turtles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts exactly. Who is the girl under Shakazulu's picture?

Tim Ingersoll:

I'll scond and third that question....

For turtles, mostly Hawksbills any of the Cayman Islands. I've never made a trip to any of the Caymans and not seen a turtle. Also mentioned was Maui, and that is correct, mostly Greens.

Turtles...Hawaii.....Hawaii...Turtles. They have no fear of humans and let you get close up and friendly (no, no touching...just really close up for photographing)

I have the best place for you. Since you and your hubby still consider yourself new to scuba, you probably want to stay fairly shallow and still see lots of turtles. I was in Roatan Honduras last October and would recommend it to you. The dives were all shallow (60 feet max, usually 30 on the reefs with the turtles) and I saw turtles on every reef dive. I was even swimming with one for over 20 minutes as he (?) was munching on soft coral. Big turtles, little turtles, you name it. There was not a single reef dive where I didn't swim a with a turtle. Saw lots of other stuff too, but the turtles were my favorite! I dove with Sueno Del Sol on the west end. They were awsome. Enjoy!

mom2twinz99:
I am, and have always been, fascinated with sea turtles and would *love* to see them on a dive. Does anyone have any suggestions on a great dive where this would be possible?
Well..... my profile pic was taken off Panama City. This video was taken near Bimini.
The most reliable turtle spotting place I've been diving is Akumal.
There are, however, no guarantees.
Good luck,
Rick

Tim Ingersoll:

Hey, he changed the girl. Nice, but I liked the other one more.

ShakaZulu:
Don't the Tigger Sharks feed off Turtle's??? May wont to keep an eye out, when you see to many Turtles, especially in Hawaii.

Tigger Shark? Is that like an Eyeore Ray or a Pooh Eel?
I have only seen them located in the Hundred Acre Sea!

K

The Tigers like to bite / eat the Turtles but it seems to me I am more comfortable when I see lots of turtles. It's when they're gone from their regular place that you start to wonder what's up and you wish you had eyes on the back of your head. I got hit by a speeding turtle once when he was outrunning a tiger. I won't ever forget that dive!

We have lots of turtles around Maui. Lots! They're one of the best things about diving here. Does anyone think that the turtle populations are on the rise? It used to be very uncommon for us to find them in the US Virgin Islands in the 80's and 90's.

Aloha,

Shaka~Doug

We saw lots of turtles in the Cane Bay area and nearby environs of St. Croix in July 2002, but I would hardly say that's evidence of any worldwide population increase of sea turtles. We have not yet visited the other USVI's. We've seen both green turtles and hawksbill turtles a-plenty in the Cayman Islands and St. Croix, but only saw hawksbills while in Bonaire and Curacao on our dive trip to the Netherlands Antillies in May 2004.

Back
Top Bottom