Where was your first OW dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha most of u guys are lucky starting off in such nice places... real divers come from new england, lol. first ow was a shore dive in rhode island then some in long island sound (5-15 ft vis on average)

Ginnie Springs Florida back in 79.

Man it was cold, i can remember that vividly after all these years.

The water was crystal clear.

todive4:
haha most of u guys are lucky starting off in such nice places... real divers come from new england, lol. first ow was a shore dive in rhode island then some in long island sound (5-15 ft vis on average)

Forgive me guys (to the warm water bound divers) and no offense, but we're definately a different breed for sure.. LOL - I can't count how many times a warm water dive op has pointed and said "You're from the NE aren't you?"

Mine/ours was Willow Springs in Pa, in March. Uggh!!!!! Cold - with vis @ 15ft (which is good considering the other times of the year for that place...)

Private dirty and primitive quarry. My GREEDY LDS has contracted with the owner for OW check up diving. They are still using that quarry. The VIZ was really SxxK.

My gf’s first OW dive was at Ko Saak, Pattaya, Thailand—horrible visibility, strong current, the works (at least it was warm!). We are going back to Pattaya (hopefully diving at Ko Rin) on Saturday to celebrate the first anniversary of her first dive; she recently (in Feb.) made her 100th dive at Elephant Head Rock, Similan Islands, Thailand.

My first thirteen open water dives were in glorious Barbados. I am part of a research team working with an aquatic robot. So there I was babysitting this piece of technology in clear 25 deg C Caribbean waters during the first two weeks of January. Back in Canada the wind chill had reached -40 deg C below while I was basking in the cool tropical breeze. My wife wasn’t too please with shovelling all that snow either. :frosty:

Reef dive at the Great Barrier Reef off Port Douglas. Went back again 3 years later, (they were both "introductory" dives" and finally got my back end into gear about 2 months ago and got my OW in Sydney Harbour (it's horrible out there) My first certified OW dive was in the Cathedral in Vanuatu, just amazing and I will go back to everywhere Bar Sydney Harbour.

Z..

Well my first dives were in a set of quarries in Huntsville Texas called Blue Lagoon. Cold and the water was very clear as long as you did not touch the silt on the bottom. If you barely touched that stuff, you may as well be blind. LOL

But really I consider my first real dive to be in Canyon Lake which is in the beautiful Hill Country of Texas. I love the lake and enjoy diving it occasionally but I hated that dive.

When we went down to 80 feet it was VERY cold and dark. There was nothing to see but the cliff in front of us. Now this is a man made lake; a flooded canyon. When I was on my way back up I got tangled in a giant oak tree. I panicked a bit but not enough to have problems. Add to all this the fact that we were diving near the dam and so there was this constant eerie sound of the turbines or whatever it was.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom