Which accessories are actually useful for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the one. Nothing added to the fins, one click and BOTH fins are quickly released (or secured) etc.

---
Ken

69738492.7Ge59yPc.FInCLipola.bmp

The fin keeper gizmo is brilliant.

I guess I should have been more careful... my question was more, "what accessories do you end up equipping for a basic shore dive" rather than, "what accessories do you equip for a shore dive but not a boat dive". Still, thanks for the advice! All useful :)

rjpv:
Hi folks,

Question: which of the bazillion accessories for sale are actually worth buying and attaching to yourself during your basic shore dive? I get the sense that a fair amount of the stuff sold is gimmicky.

The list of stuff I carry when I shore dive:

Compass, whistle, secondary light (unless night), signal tube of some sort, mirror, Dive Rite wet notebook, backup mask, Cetacea fin clip.

The whistle I leave permanently attached to a female clip that I use for the backup light. The mirror, signal tube, and backup mask all clip to a stainless steel ring in my BC pocket. The mask may seem like overkill, but I've had two mask straps break on me just before descent after making the long trek from the car and the surface swim out, so it's nice to have one in those scenarios.

The notebook clips off to a d-ring on my tank.

It sounds like a lot of stuff, but it's really not.

rjpv:

I guess I should have been more careful... my question was more, "what accessories do you end up equipping for a basic shore dive" rather than, "what accessories do you equip for a shore dive but not a boat dive". Still, thanks for the advice! All useful :)

So nothing changes dive to dive for me or most of my team - regardless of the site or conditions.

We carry all the same stuff all the time for every dive.

---
Ken

rjpv:

I don't understand the difference between the way you asked it originally and the way you're asking it now.

A scooter is a nice accessory. I attach to my crotch strap with a clip.

I would defently support the list of "aphelion" listed for PE (Personal Equipment). But would also add a dive flag that you pull along with you. This does two things: It get you tangled up... just kidding.... It lets the boaters know to stay clear and keeps the people above the water informer where you are, just in case you need help. In any case. Before you enter the water, let people know what you are doing and how long you will be in. Look at the water, examine the current and discuss with your partner your entry and exit location and discuss possible problems that you may encounter. Then Have Fun and enjoy your dive.

Mo2vation:
This is the one. Nothing added to the fins, one click and BOTH fins are quickly released (or secured) etc.

---
Ken
aqufk.jpg

To me the magic of the one I cited is 2 fold. First only one fin is released at a time so if a roller comes in then I only have one piece of gear that I need to hang on to.

Second, on my spring straps I added a pair of holes and a tie wrap to the vinyl cushion tube to keep the keeper tab centered and they make good pull pabs for setting and releasing the fin straps.

Pete

As far as in the water goes I can't think of anything I change, assuming we remain in the same waters.

The big difference is in the support crap I'm apt to have handy in the van for a shore dive ranging from a porta potty to tools, parts, extra cylinders, extra weights and so forth.

On a boat it's the essentials and a modest save-a-dive kit.

I didn't read the OP's question as, "What's different between boat and shore diving?" but rather as, "I'm doing my diving from shore. What do I need?"

But it was an interesting question, as it made me think about what I might want to carry on a boat that I don't for shore diving, and the only thing I came up with was some type of noisemaking device for pickup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom