Which accessories are actually useful for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enter the water with my fins in my hands. I also use a type of "fin clip" (mine is a bit of gear from elsewhere on me, but it functions as a fin clip).

Why would I bother having "fin clips" when I enter the water with my fins in my hands? Because a quarter mile (or more) seems *quite* a long way to walk with fins in my hands!

ClayJar:
I enter the water with my fins in my hands. I also use a type of "fin clip" (mine is a bit of gear from elsewhere on me, but it functions as a fin clip).

Why would I bother having "fin clips" when I enter the water with my fins in my hands? Because a quarter mile (or more) seems *quite* a long way to walk with fins in my hands!

Fin Clip: I use it depending on the circumstances. Rocky places (i.e. Old Marineland) are an ideal place. Easy entries (i.e. Redondo) not needed.

Spring Straps: Don't go anywhere without them. I think they have revolutionized donning fins. They also last longer.

Bolt Snaps: for lights and other gear (i.e. Lobster bags) are great to keep the hands free while holding your fins or fighting surf.

Neoprene Mask Strap: Yeah, really, for long surface swims on my back, I take my mask off or wear it on my head (MOF???). The neoprene ones make it easier to take off and put on.

That's just basic stuff that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and doesn't require complete gear reconfiguration.

Hope that helps.

Theres a group of maybe half a dozen 'old timers' that dive in the area, always superlatively well prepared. They use a these big (say, 4' by 2') chests on wheels that can be pulled along. Assuming you have level terrain, it seems to work well.

Sharky1948:
I use the Wheeleez (formerly Roleez) Sports Caddy: http://www.wheeleez.com/beach-carts.php

It takes two trips (one for the tanks, one for the rest of the gear), but it works well on all kinds of terrain.

Thanks, I'll look into these. Something like the Wheeleez looks to be just the ticket. I might see how hard it is just to order the wheels and get it attached to an existing trolley.

I really like having a picnic table. Makes it soooo much easier to get into my rig. :wink:

Note: I do not try to clip the picnic table to any of my gear. :p

All my dives are shore dives, and I must say I really like the Bare Rockboots. Good traction, even in snow (not great, but better than many).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom