Which backup computer do you think is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe an Uwatec bottom timer is the best backup, only because it is the least expensive.

Next question, when would you ever need a backup?

Answer 1: When you go on an exotic vacation trip, in case your primary has an accident. For sure.

Answer 2: Well, now we are getting into the twilightzone area of scuba, where nothing is as it might seem to be, and nobody agrees.

Either way, I myself would definitely not get a hose-mounted console computer, although others seem to like them very much.

pilot fish:
Use a puter from the same comapny as your primary so they are calibrated the same, the same alogrythms.

You beat me to this suggestion. The same algorithms would make the most sense to me.

RGist:
I can not do that... I really like the wrist mount and I really want redundancy as well, regardless if is conected directly or not.

what i am suggesting is that since the transmiter is the failure point, eliminate it.
that way you won't need the redundancy.

get a pressure gauge. use that to keep track of air.

get a wrist computer (non air integrated). use that to keep track of depth and time.

you don't need a backup other than a separate watch and dive tables

yeah I agree with andy. OMS makes a real nice brass oil filled swivel spg thats maybe an inch wide. Im going with that and a wrist mounted oceanic veo 250. That way, if my comp ever fails ill always know how much air I have left, and also because it would be alot cheaper to replace a $350 computer or a $100 guage at once, than an $850 piece of electronics. Don't put all of your eggs in one basket. THATS redundancy.

ABowie,
I like the Vytec and like you have had great luck with it. The only issue is I have transmitter battery issues. I have had to replace the transmitter battery three times in one year. I currently use a back SPG, but really want to get a complete backup.

Funny you mentioned the Cobra, that is my first choice, but I really wanted a smaller unit.

I like the way you have setup your transmitter, very creative. Did you do this because you think the rigid connection on the 1st stage is a problem (it might break) and the hose provides flexibility?

RGist:
ABowie,
I like the Vytec and like you have had great luck with it. Did you do this because you think the rigid connection on the 1st stage is a problem (it might break) and the hose provides flexibility?

Exactly.

I am a little bemused by some of the replies above.

While I think I understand where you guys are coming from with the SPG issue, I fail to see why you think that an SPG and wrist mounted computer is any different from having an air integrated computer. Both are mechanisms for measuring pressure. Both can fail. Blindly believing that since an SPG is a mechanical device and is therefore perfectly reliable is IMO a bit simplistic.

I do tend to agree that having 2 separate computers (Vytec and Cobra use different algorithms BTW as Vytec has a pseudo-RGBM fudge factor) seems unnecessary redundancy but if that's what the man want's then let him have it I say.

Personally I only use 2 computers for deep stuff, and then I use a VR3 and the Vytec. To be honest I don't pay a lot of attention to the Vytec on these dives. Really all I use it for so that I can download later (and for redundancy if the VR3 dies or falls off). And if they both fall off then I have my tables...etc, etc..

Similarly I prefer to use wrist mounted rather than hose mounted computers because I find it tidier but that doesn't mean others shouldn't.

It's all about personal preference :)

Well, I had might as well throw my two bits in here.

I agree with Mr. Bowie about the fact that mechanical devices fail -- we've had automobile mechanics around as long as there have been automobiles, and that was before computers!

However, I think it's important to consider that a mechanical SPG / depth gauge also has much less to do than a computer and given this is much less likely to suddenly "crash".

My suggestion, if you want to keep things really redundant: Vytec w/ transmitter (primary); Vyper on the other wrist; SPG & depth gauge console clipped off to lower D-ring. This will give you A) all the features of an air-integrated computer B) a backup computer (non-AI); and barring the failure of both, the data necessary to use your brain to keep you alive (the mechanical gauges).

With my livelihood coming from working with computers, I'll just say there's no way I would willingly choose to have my life in the hands of one (or even two) pieces of consumer-grade electronics. It just isn't worth it.

-kb

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom