Which backup computer do you think is best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abowie:
But I (and a lot of other people) do.
Do we? I thought we were just lazy-asses that didn't feel like guestimating...

(no, that's not a troll -- I'm in the category that is all for AI computers -- but that doesn't mean I think it's a good thing to shut off one's brain... that's a good way for it to be shut off permanently!)

Indeed.

I understand the mindset that prefers the depth guage/BT/tables approach (because I too have done the courses and learned how to use them).

I however prefer to use the technology available to make my diving easier and more enjoyable.

I do not agree that just because you think any piece of technology might fail you should blindly refuse to use it just because of something that you were taught in a course or read on the internet. If that was your approach you'd never use any piece of scuba equipment.

I can, and have, done moderately deep deco dives using depth gauge/BT and tables written on my wrist slate in pencil.

I prefer however to do these dives using a computer, with a second computer as backup and tables etc to back up those if both fail. In over 400 dives I have never had a computer fail. I have had one HP hose failure underwater (SPG swivel O ring) and one SPG blow up (on the surface, not in the water).

I personally would not choose to dive with 2 AI computers because I prefer not to use console mounting. That is not hovever in my view a reason to suggest that no one should.

My back up is my brain and RDP. AI or not to AI doesn't make a spit worth of difference to me other than the $$$. If you don't want a bottom timer at least get a cheap watch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom