Which Bay Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
The flexibility of the many options of West End are inviting to many. For other, less travelled readers I offer a mathematical comparison. Based on the numbers provided above by the well travelled :flag: mjnansen, and comparing to an AI such as CoCoView, here's the breakdown...

AI (CCV is an 'all inclusive' example) $750-850/week {figuring to $107-120/day} you get all three meals, a room on stilts over the reef, unlimited great real shore diving, the best boats (4 tanks per day), and more stuff 'just designed for divers'. (Other AI's could be compared to this as a standard, there are times that FIBR is being given away- but you get what you pay for.)

Ala Carte? (West End and Sea Grape example) A first level on- shore room would be $50, four dives a day would be $60 making a total (so far) of $110... then there's food. Remember this is a Caribbean Island with prices for food that one might expect. And then there's the time to acquire it as well as the transfer time to and from the dive op. If you are there to dive-this option is going to cost you some serious Lempira$. Most can't eat for $10 a day much less for $20.

A lot of it depends on what you want. Do you want access to diving AND the social :cheers: scene? On Roatan, as in most dive destinations, you just can't have both. The West End offers the best possible option to achieve this equilibrium, but as with most comprimises, it is just that.

I still like the West End a lot- It is WNW of the Airport by 8 miles and it has some of the best restaurants such as Garden of Eatin :chineese: and Argentine Grille. (the other same quality and more North American style eateries are Geo's, Romeo's and the French Harbour Yacht Club- located 8 miles E of the Airport in French Harbor)

If I'm dragging all that way, I'm coming to dive. The island culture is all but transparent, now eclipsed by a Jamaica Mon clone version. Honduran beer is just beer, Roatan diving can be incredible.

It's like comparing bananas to plantains! :cwmddd:

Actually Roatan Man your right- it is very different. I seem to find all inclusives always appear to be a good deal until you take into account that the price is per person- a room in West End is usually the same price for two people as it is for one. So your math of $107-120 per day is actually $214-240 per day per couple while going to West End costs about $170 per day per couple without food (based on 4 dives per day each @ $15 per dive and a $50 per night room). Yes you still have to buy food, but I like variety and there are all different kinds of things to try at all different prices (If you don't count drinks which you usually pay more for at a resort anyway, my husband and I would probably have a hard time spending $70 per day on food on Roatan- and we are real good eaters!) That being said, if you want to get your feet wet on Roatan, an all inclusive is a good way to go and see what the island has to offer and look around to see where you'd like to stay the next time!

mjnansen:
if you want to get your feet wet on Roatan, an all inclusive is a good way to go and see what the island has to offer and look around to see where you'd like to stay the next time!

A scientific approach!

Unfortunately so few people do that. Most go to one resort on any particular island and 'know' :eyebrow: that's the best there is. They're sure to tell everyone that in any newsgroup, as well.

Too few go out on an island tour day (or on the off gassing day before the return flight) to look criticaly :06: at other resorts and dive ops.

You don't know what you don't know.

We have dived in both Roatan and Utila and our preference is Utila. Utila has more than 70 buoyed sites around the island; the North side of the island with the second largest barrier reef in the world next to Australia, awesome walls and the possiblity of snorkeling with whalesharks and the South side with gentle sloping reefs and sandy bottom. We dived with Deep Blue Divers, who have an excellent reputation, and enjoyed every minute of our time with them. They take maximum 6 in a group of certified divers and all dives are led by Instructors who are great at finding cool stuff and very knowleadgeable about the aquatic life found on their reefs and they spend time with you after the dive sharing that knowleadge.

There is a good range of hotels from $6 per night at the low end to $40 per night with AC and fans.

Good luck with your trip.

We are thinking of 7 nights at CoCo View and maybe the 5 nights prior in Utila, what would be the recommendation for comparable lodging on Utila (lots of diving....)

I think there is a package available that includes one week at CoCo View on Roatan and one week at Utila Lodge on Utila.

tvictory:
I think there is a package available that includes one week at CoCo View on Roatan and one week at Utila Lodge on Utila.

Yes there is check under last minute dive deals /specials on their website. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/index.htm

Thanks,
The reviews from the board are pretty good for Utila Lodge... We won't be going until april of next year. Hopefully run into (haha) some whale sharks... Are there any pic's of the lodge out there? How about the whale sharks?...

ScubaDoobaDo:
Thanks,
The reviews from the board are pretty good for Utila Lodge... We won't be going until april of next year. Hopefully run into (haha) some whale sharks... Are there any pic's of the lodge out there? How about the whale sharks?...

http://www.utilalodge.com/

I have looked at their website, I was kinda hoping for some personal (not too) photos of the resort...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom