Which Bay Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan/Doc,
Thanks a bunch for all the info. You've pretty much sold us on CCV. Have a great trip the next few weeks--we look forward to reading about it and going ourselves in a month!

RoatanMan:
The flexibility of the many options of West End are inviting to many. For other, less travelled readers I offer a mathematical comparison. Based on the numbers provided above by the well travelled :flag: mjnansen, and comparing to an AI such as CoCoView, here's the breakdown...

AI (CCV is an 'all inclusive' example) $750-850/week {figuring to $107-120/day} you get all three meals, a room on stilts over the reef, unlimited great real shore diving, the best boats (4 tanks per day), and more stuff 'just designed for divers'. (Other AI's could be compared to this as a standard, there are times that FIBR is being given away- but you get what you pay for.)

Ala Carte? (West End and Sea Grape example) A first level on- shore room would be $50, four dives a day would be $60 making a total (so far) of $110... then there's food. Remember this is a Caribbean Island with prices for food that one might expect. And then there's the time to acquire it as well as the transfer time to and from the dive op. If you are there to dive-this option is going to cost you some serious Lempira$. Most can't eat for $10 a day much less for $20.

A lot of it depends on what you want. Do you want access to diving AND the social :cheers: scene? On Roatan, as in most dive destinations, you just can't have both. The West End offers the best possible option to achieve this equilibrium, but as with most comprimises, it is just that.

I still like the West End a lot- It is WNW of the Airport by 8 miles and it has some of the best restaurants such as Garden of Eatin :chineese: and Argentine Grille. (the other same quality and more North American style eateries are Geo's, Romeo's and the French Harbour Yacht Club- located 8 miles E of the Airport in French Harbor)

If I'm dragging all that way, I'm coming to dive. The island culture is all but transparent, now eclipsed by a Jamaica Mon clone version. Honduran beer is just beer, Roatan diving can be incredible.

It's like comparing bananas to plantains! :cwmddd:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom