Which compass to buy: Aeris or Suunto?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with a Genisis Compass Module in a small boot with a ring on it.

Then I attached that to a light weight retractor. I secured the other end of the retractor to the inside of my BC pocket.

So now on one side I have a compass, and the other side I have an Ikelite PC lite. Both are stored nice and neatly in a pocket, yet I can get to both easily if a need to, and it's a streamlined enough solution that they are always with me.

No excuses like "I didn't think I'd need it, and it's always in my way, so I didn't bring it this dive."

cool_hardware52:
SK7 on the wrist. You can then use this bungee mount:
Bungee Compass Mount
Easy on easy off, easy to read.
Regards,
Tobin
So Tobin, does that mean I can buy the SK7 intended to be used in a console (as opposed to the more expensive SK7 already in a wrist mount) and install it in that bungee mount thingie? Because I was just looking at buying the wrist mount model and hoping to replace the strap with a bungee, but hadn't actually figured out how I would do it yet. That looks like exactly what I wanted to end up with, and the lower profile is a big plus.

Stirling:
So Tobin, does that mean I can buy the SK7 intended to be used in a console (as opposed to the more expensive SK7 already in a wrist mount) and install it in that bungee mount thingie? Because I was just looking at buying the wrist mount model and hoping to replace the strap with a bungee, but hadn't actually figured out how I would do it yet. That looks like exactly what I wanted to end up with, and the lower profile is a big plus.

Sure can, the "guts" are the same. Real trick would be to see if you can buy just the "guts"

I have seen the "console" ready SK7 for less than the best price I've found on the wrist mount SK7 with boot.

Let us know if you succeed.

Tobin

Man that bungee mount looks NICE!! Well I guess I know what I am going to be buying in the near future.

The SK-7 is about the best you are going to find. Pay out the extra and get it and you won't be sorry. Or do like I did and wait till someone comes along here and posts one for sale.

The sk-7 is 1 1/2" tall with the boot. I would think that you could get rid of at least 1/4" buy going bungee.

crpntr133:
Man that bungee mount looks NICE!! Well I guess I know what I am going to be buying in the near future.

The SK-7 is about the best you are going to find. Pay out the extra and get it and you won't be sorry. Or do like I did and wait till someone comes along here and posts one for sale.

The sk-7 is 1 1/2" tall with the boot. I would think that you could get rid of at least 1/4" buy going bungee.

That's about right, my mount is ~.250 lower profile.

Tobin

StSomewhere:
Tobin, why would someone want to mount the compass at a 12° angle? Is that just so you don't have to hold your left arm exactly perpendicular to your body? Thanks!

You got it. When I hold my forearm at 90 to my body, I can't see the side window, it's below the field of vision of my mask. If swing my arm out enogh to see the side window, the lubber line is no longer in line with my body.

My angling the compass slightly I can keep the lubber parallel to me with my arm slightly forward.

My mount easily allows either 90 degrees, or angled, so you might find you like it at an angle.

Regards,

Tobin

Okay, I went out and bought the console module SK7 during my lunch hour, and am going to order one of them DSS bungie-mount thingies - but immediately I'm looking at the way this thing is put together, and wondering if I can pry the "guts" out of it without doing some damage to the thing. I don't suppose there are instructions about how to do that with the bungie-mount kit? Or should it be obvious to me? (It isn't, yet).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom