Which Island is the most laid back??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pillow:
Kauai is my favorite. I am from Wyoming and do not like crowds. The only problem is the roosters.

Yeah you're right but, well, chickens ("moa" in Hawaiian) are sort of native since they were among the foodstuffs brought by some of the earliest Polynesian settlers (not sure if the even earlier Marquesans brought some). Of course, a lot more came in the with the waves of plantation workers at the beginning of the 20th century. So, sometimes I want to shoot 'em myself for waking me up, but heck, they're part of the landscape. Especially on Kauai. Could be worse. I understand that some areas are having bad problems with coqui frogs (illegally imported and released to the wild of course). Those s.o.b's are really obnoxiously loud and all night long.

Pillow:
Kauai is my favorite. I am from Wyoming and do not like crowds. The only problem is the roosters.

I believe the proper name for them is "feral cocks" :D

My vacation on Kauai was definitely the most relaxing time I've ever had. We stayed in Princeville, which was very nice, and which is situated on the North Shore, which has a ton of access to secluded (or at least very sparsely crowded) beaches.

Great island. I can taste that shaved ice now! Yum!

v_1matst:
My vote goes to Kauai. Great place...

My Maui experience involved watching a girl get beat up under the big banyan tree by some local punk drug dealer, having to give a statement to the police because my wife and I helped the girl (she's a nurse and I'm an EMT), watching the police apprehend and then RELEASE the kid only to have him follow us aroudn the island until we got back on the boat. Stay out of maui :)
Wow, amazing. Well we've spent months on Maui and love the island. We don't go to many tourist spots though. If I want a beach to myself I can easily find it on Maui, same goes for a trail or a waterfall.

I just love Maui :)

quiet is Lanai - the saying used to be "see everything in 3 hours, then go home and relax" Lanai city is a very quiet place about 1000 ft elevation, clouds roll through in the morning. The downside is that the resorts there are expensive. I used to fill in for a pastor friend at the little Baptist Church in the city when he went on Vacation every year, so I just stayed at the parsonage. Folks still waved at every car driving by and said hello to strangers. It was always an enjoyable time for me.
Molokai is probably a little more affordable since they have more hotels, and it is also very quiet. While their nickname is "the friendly isle" I've always found Lanai and Maui to be more friendly. However it probably has to do more with where you are specifically.

Maui is a nice mix of city and country. There is enough infrastructure that you can always get what you need, but you can also get away from it all.

The Big Island is great because everything is spread out. I much prefer the Hilo side to Kona, because of all the rain in Hilo (I love rainy weather) of course now that I am diving I just might have to spend more time in Kona . . . hmm.

Kauai is a smaller island with really only one "city" (Lihue) and lots of small towns, so it may be appealing to you as well.

Oahu is where I grew up, it's quiet places are like the other islands big cities. There are still small pockets of rural communities, but it's growing so fast, that even the small towns are becoming big city like places. The North Shore and Waianae are the most laid back parts of Oahu now. Waianae is especially nice if you can make some friends with some of the local Hawaiians out there - once you are adopted into their "ohana" you get a true taste of why Hawaiians are famous for their hospitality. A most gracious and warm people for the most part.

All the islands have their own charm and warmth, most folks visit several (or all) then make return visits to their favorite island (of course that is always Maui - LOL - Maui No Ka Oi)

bluemagoo:
Yeah you're right but, well, chickens ("moa" in Hawaiian) are sort of native since they were among the foodstuffs brought by some of the earliest Polynesian settlers (not sure if the even earlier Marquesans brought some). Of course, a lot more came in the with the waves of plantation workers at the beginning of the 20th century. So, sometimes I want to shoot 'em myself for waking me up, but heck, they're part of the landscape. Especially on Kauai. Could be worse. I understand that some areas are having bad problems with coqui frogs (illegally imported and released to the wild of course). Those s.o.b's are really obnoxiously loud and all night long.

Kaua'i is loaded with wild chickens because there are no mongoose there, which were introduced to control the rats on all other islands. Kaua'i was the control. Seems the rats were nocturnal though and didn't come into contact with the mongoose much so the mongoose went after other local birds etc. including chickens on the other islands. I lived on Oahu and Kaua'i and would cast my vote for Kaua'i as far as laid back. And since the big hurricane in ...89?...it hasn't recovered and had the developement pace of the other major islands, so my daughter tells me. Hanalei is a magical place. Hank

Thanks so much everyone for all the info so is the diving and snorkling really all that?? And is there an off season or for the most part temprate?? Ive heard the locals dont like the tourist but if youve ever traveled to other parts of the world were not exactly liked right now. We must all use extreme common sense in our travels and find deep respect for our welcoming lands traditions. Apparently that includes paying off your drug dealer on time.. :wink:

Ummm stupid locals don't like tourists. Without tourists the islands would die. Most love tourists and the money they bring. :)

Al Mialkovsky:
Ummm stupid locals don't like tourists. Without tourists the islands would die. Most love tourists and the money they bring. :)
Very true - For the most part the local people love sharing the beauty of their islands. Traditionally Hawaii is famous for its hospitality. However like anywhere in the country/world there are a few that will take any opportunity to get upset, and usually very vocally - So . . .ignore them! It's true that our primary business is tourism, and the money tourists bring in is important, but you will find the majority of folks here very eager to share regardless.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom