Which reel.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh yeah... practise, practise, practise - and then practise some more

Hey TM - I hit the surface in two seconds after the bag (pool though)!

Ontie -- while I was kinda frustrated, I had to laugh at how it all happened. I was so focused on what was happening 6 inches in front of me, that I wasn't paying attention to where I was or that I was rising. I thought I had gotten the bag completely full like the instructor wanted it, but didn't know that when I released it, my head was just 3 feet underwater.

But now I think I got a handle on what I need to do to perform this skill correctly. Just gotta get out there and practice.

TM

Do you shoot the bag straight up, or do you run the line under something first. I was tought when using a Jersey reel to run the line under something so that you are pulled down vs pulled up. The Jersey reel also has sisal so that you can cut it and leave it in the water for it to deteriate. If using a reel line, I make sure the line can be pulled up after I assend up the line.

Ty

For the TDI Decompression Procedures class I was taking, I was using the Dive-Rite Blue reel.

And the method being taught was not what you described. For the instructor to pass you on the skill, I was told that the diver must demonstrate that they can properly attach the reel to the clip on the bag, then inflate the bag before letting go so that when it reaches the surface it is fully inflated. And all of this while hovering in the water column and not rising more than a few feet and not sinking more than 10.

I had inquired about using a method like you described, but the instructor said that this was a no-no with out providing much explanation.

I had inquired about using a method like you described, but the instructor said that this was a no-no with out providing much explanation.

Must be a regional thing. Having been taught in the Northeast mostly for wreck diving, I've noticed a number of things that that we do here that are considered no-no's in other areas. Jersey up-lines, pony bottles, reel technics are I guess just a few of them.

I have to say though, staying within 10' while shooting a lift bag as you described does sound like a challenge. I may have to try it out next week in the quarry while my Girlfriend does her AOW.

Ty

Yeah TM - I did the same thing too - so focused on doing the drill didn't notice I was floating up (because I was holding onto the bag + bouyancy)

ditto on the hover for my instructor - then to make it more "fun" he had buddy do an OOA while I was playing with the bag. One hand on the reel, one hand on the bag and my reg leaves my mouth. I tried to grab my secondary on the necklace without my hands, after third attmpt, buddy reaches over and puts it in my mouth - Instructor had to surface he was laughing so hard. Two OOAs at the same time!

Getting real comfortable with my buddy tho' :D

I just got the Halcyon 400. At $120.00 its tough looking and simplicity at its best. Checkout h2oadventuregear.

OD & Tm...
You shouldn't go up or down at all shooting your bag fellas...
It gets better with attention and practice.

And you shouldn't be using a reel... use a spool.. (spools don't get snarled and either leave you or take you with them)... as soon as you've gassed the bag let the spool go... it will sit there and spin in the water paying out line and when it stops then you can clip the line off to it so it doesn't keep paying out line and sink. When you are ready to ascend to your next stop reach out - take the spool - unclip the bolt snap and wind line onto the spool and then reclip the bolt snap and let the spool float untouched... repeat at each stop to the surface.

Ty... why are you tying a line to the bottom? Are you holding onto the line as a adjunct to *buoyancy skills* during the ascent?

I have two 400' EE Pathfinders (one is Shane's) in the dive bucket and one new OMS on the shelve in the garage... wanna buy it?

Here is a great tip...NOT to be Overlooked! When you shoot a bag from your spool be sure the current is coming from behind and pushing your line away. I got snagged while practicing (around 50')and took a quick ride to the surface. My instructor had mentioned this in class but it was heard almost 'non chalantly'. My fault,guilty. Now I know!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom